katana steel

I have been tasked with making a katana for a friend and all I have is 1080, would that be good to use for forging and creating a good hamon.

1080 is not ideal, too much manganese.
contact Aldo at njsteelbaron.com and get w2 or low manganese 1075. That is, of course, just my opinion, but the part about manganese is fact. I am not trying to promote Aldo, though he is a friend. It is just that he understands the needs of knifemakers so he put together a pour of w2 (which was basically not being made anymore). Similarly, some foundry was going to sell one of the big steel dealers an ingot of 1075 and they goofed it and did not put enough manganese in it. So, the ingot was out of spec for the steel company. Aldo knew what "gold" a steel just at the magical level of carbon without much manganese was for those of us who like to do clay heat treating, so he grabbed it. These are the best steels available, in my opinion (for this). w1 is quite good, and you can have it delivered easily in round and probably flat bar, and there are two types of 1095 out there. If you get the type with the lower manganese (check the specs from the company that sells it to see what you are getting, look for manganese in the 30 pt range, leave alone anything that has manganese in the 50pt range and above).

that's is my advice, for what little its worth. I wish you all the best.
Kevin

Most knifemakers swear by aldo. Never met the man or know him personally but once I switched over and dealt with him I refuse to deal with anyone else. Plus his prices are very hard to beat!

I agree with the professor, Aldo's 1075 and W-2 are some of the best sword steels around . I have a bit of both . Hey Aldo hows it going ?? .... Bubba

Bubba,

How in the world are you? We've been doing well.

Epic,

Give me a call.We'll get something out to you that your customer will love.

Aldo

Doing pretty good paisan , Just had a couple tooth implants . Things are made from titanium and Boron. I guess you can change my name to " Jaws" . Glad you folks are doing good . Take care Bubba

Doing pretty good paisan , Just had a couple tooth implants . Things are made from titanium and Boron. I guess you can change my name to " Jaws" . Glad you folks are doing good . Take care Bubba
Id at least expect anodized teeth maybe even damascus!

A damascus tooth cap would be awesome . high tech stainless ... not beyond the realm of possibility !! betcha we are not the first to think about that. But a tooth with a hamon !! now that would be different

A damascus tooth cap would be awesome . high tech stainless ... not beyond the realm of possibility !! betcha we are not the first to think about that. But a tooth with a hamon !! now that would be different
LOL didnt even think of the hamon.

Back