Kbac27d dvd ?

csalt09

I have the kbac27d vfd with the on off switch. Is the Orange and green power/status lights supposed to remain on when the switch is in the off position? I also have a 1725 leeson with a 4" pulley and 3" on the grinder. Full speed is pretty slow. My pots are set up the same as Beaumont's instructions. Do I need to change them or the pulley's.

Mine stay on for a few seconds after powering down. There's probably some capacitors in the unit that are draining off. They should go dark in about 10 to 20 seconds.

Yes, they will remain lit until the capacitors discharge, which is about 20 seconds or so, then they should go out. With my 1725rpm motor I set the speed to 2x. 1x would be way to slow for me. Not sure on what pulley you want to run as mine is direct drive.

most VFD run lights stay on for a while after you power down. the book with mine says wait at least 3 minutes before opening the box or messing with the wiring.
you are getting over 2300 rpm at the drive wheel, with a 4" drive wheel that is almost 2400FPM, probably good with 40 grit belts but way to fast for anything over 120grit. running your motor at 120Hz may work for a while, but doing it for any length of time usually causes smoke. increasing your motor pulley to 6" would give you 3500 rpm at the drive wheel.

So I should leave the 3" pulley on the grinder and replace the motor pulley with a 6"? Could I get away with a 4" on motor and 2" on grinder.

A 1" difference in pulley size will create a significant difference in speed and torque in relationship to the setting on the controller. It doesn't seem like it would on paper, but in practical application it's very noticeable. Personally I went through a couple different pulley size combinations with one of my grinders/motors that's hooked to a KBAC-27D before I found the combo I liked. On that machine I now have/use a 2 1/2" pulley on the grinder, and a 5" on the motor.

Back