KD July KITH official picture thread.

Thanks Franklin! The sheath looks ok on the front, but the back is a little sloppy... have a hard time getting the holes straight sometimes. Hopefully it's new owner won't mind too much :eek:

i wont i promise lol what helps me is i do my line in front then make holes then do the back they all dont come out perfect but there a lot better. i forgot to put up a pic of my knife in the sheath its the top pretty plain conpared to some uh hum we know who im talking about lol

Attachments

• 100_1764.jpg
    100_1764.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 38
Franklin, are you using an awl for your holes? I've been using a sharpened finish nail and using it in my little drill press like an arbor press. It works well when I keep everything lined up... If I'm not paying attention and tilt the sheath a little, it will veer in our out. I either need to change my method, or pay closer attention....

i use a small drill bit and drill the holes but lay my sheath on a piece of wood to keep it flat as possible,then open holes op better with a awl mark

Mark,

I use the bottom of a 1/16" drill bit sharpened to a point. When your "drilling/punching" your holes go SLOW. It does happen that the bit will flex half way through and will surely veer off messing up your line on the back side. Leather is fiberous (sp) enough that it can deflect the bit but it seems to help to go slow and allow the bit to burrow it's way through seperating the fibers as opposed to forcing it.

I've laughed, cried, and dropped nice sheath's right in the trash due to a messed up stitch line on the back side, LOL

I use wood under while drilling like Franklin but take it a step further and use wood door shims to level the center of the welt while drilling.

Hope this helps ya, Josh

Going to be Wrapping Up on this today or tomorrow just sharpening and etching my mark left. I'll post better pics later but here's a few from the phone.
81b19472.jpg

Here’s my KITH for July 2011.

It is a Camp Knife.

Steel - 1095 Thickness - .165”
OAL - 10.625” Blade Length - 6”
Width - 1.45”
There is a 3” Snake filed into to spine

Handle - Desert Ironwood
Pins - .204” Copper
Thong Tube - .375” OD/.250” ID Copper with a turned antler bead on a leather thong.

The blade for this knife has been on my bench for a while and I decided it needed to go to somebody that might appreciate it. It has a satin finish sanded to 1000grit. There was lots of hand sanding involved. The knife finished beautifully and I hope it goes to a good home.

This was the first lined sheath I have done. There was a lot of apprehension as I proceeded with each step. I figured it all out myself but it seemed like it took forever. Didn’t want to make any mistakes when I was this far along.

Let’s get this thing going!

Pat

KITH 2011.jpg

In the homestretch now, just a few days left. I am leaving for vacation this Saturday, so I will have my daughter draw from a hat on Friday. Then post the list. It will be the same as last year. Each maker will be assigned a number, the names will be drawn out and put on the list in the order they are drawn. All you have to do is send your address to the person ahead of you on the list and your knife to the person under you on the list.
Thanks so much. My life has been very crazy the last few months, alot of sickness and work. This has been a good distraction.
I can say there isnt a knife here that I wouldnt like to have. I know a few guys are still working, I cant wait to see the rest.

Sean

Here's what I came up with. 2.5 inch 15N20 & 1084 blade, 5.75 LOA. 1018 & N200 for the bolsters, black G10 and titanium. Scott

Attachments

• DSC_0075_091.jpg
    DSC_0075_091.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0080_096.jpg
    DSC_0080_096.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 42
I am SOOOO flippin' excited!!! :D

My sheath is done too btw... Easily convertible from IWB to OWB, or how I prefer to wear it is in the IWB setup, but on the outside of my jeans. That way you never see the print of the knife, only possibly the beltloop.

IWB_apex_fighter.jpgApex_fighter2.jpg

Pearsonal Steak

I think everyone aught to have a handmade steak knife that's one of a kind and all their own to enjoy on a daily basis. Ya know, the kinda thing ya just can't get from Walmart :3:

This knife is purpose built for the kitchen table but just may come in handy for many of the lighter duty kitchen chores like slicing, peeling, trimming, and prepping the goods for the grill or oven.

She's about a simple as they come... just the meat and potatoes. No guard. No bolsters. Just steel and wood.

While simple enough this knife proved to be full of suprises. With a torch hardened edge I fully expected a clear temper line but was pleasantly suprised to see what else was there after etching in ferric the first time. A subtle but clear and interesting secondary line revealed itself arcing up from the choil gracefully up across the bevel and out towards the tip. A COMPLETE SURPRIZE :shush: but welcomed nevertheless.

After seeing my pal DCknives recent friction folder with Cocobolo I knew I had to give some a try. This is pair of scales that Dave gave me long ago when I was still a certified greenhorn. While lacking in visual appeal with low contrast and a muddy and overall dark appearance I decided to go for it anyways. Boy I couldn't have been more shocked at what I saw when I started shaping these ugly scales :what!:

Specs-
-4 3/4" edge 9 3/4" OAL
-Forged 1084 .105 at the ricasso with a slight distal taper and flat ground to .006 :what!: Scrubbed up to 600 and given a 10 second etch.
-Mortised tang construction with Cococolo scales and a 1/16" 416SS hammer domed pin. Handsanded to 800 with a coat of Rennisance wax.

* In the interest of full disclosure I feel I should tell yall that while this blade was technically forged, it also was heavily profiled on the grinder :eek: This was actually a blade I forged in Old Washington at the intro class and never finished due to some deep hammer marks etc :shush: With the recent addition of a surface grinder it makes that kinda problem alot easier to deal with :3: *

I still need to sharpen it tonight and make a slip sheath but it's otherwise done.

I sure hope he who get's it put's it to use instead of puttin on the shelf ! Enough of my yammering already let's see the pics, LOL

004-1.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Let me know what you guys think !

Thanks, Josh

Very Nice Josh! I love cocobolo for the exact reasons you stated... It finishes nicer than any wood I can think of, and once you expose the grain, it can really pop!

Great looking knives everyone.
I just have a quick question. Is the list of makers for the draw coming from here (makers with knives done) or from the official list in the original thread? if it's from the other thread then my name is not on that list. I just dont want to miss out.
thanks, Jason.

Back