Kerosene?

Roy Miller

I have been reading a different forum on forging and they were talking about using kerosene to fill the air spaces in a can to remove the oxygen. Now they do recommend leaving a pin hole in the can, but that still seems dangerous to me, what do you do?:52: Roy

I squirt a bit of WD40 inside the can and weld it up. My mig welding is usually bad enough to have a couple pin holes that lets out any pressure that builds during the welding temps. One tiny hole is plenty but I've also had very good luck with no wd40 and no vent hole. I certainly wouldnt fill the can with kerosene and try to weld the lid on. I've burnt my gloves while mig welding just from the wd40 burning. Ya cant see it burning with the welding hood but you can sure feel it.

I've never heard of anyone putting kerosene inside a "can"...are you sure that they weren't talking about using kerosene to soak an "open" billet prior to welding?

If they are putting kerosene inside a "can"....then I'm with Bruce and you....pretty dangerous.

No, it's in the can. I said it sounded more like a bomb than a billet, but they claim that as long as they leave a pin hole they only get a fire ball (imagine that). I leave a pin hole in mine so they don't puff up and I assume that almost all of the oxygen will escape out that hole during the heating.

Any links? To me this would be a bad idea, some of the guys I know will soak an open billet, me included but not fill a can. I know guys will put a squirt in a can of WD-40 or kerosene.

Sounds more like a "Here hold my beer and watch this" kind of deal to me!

Ive used a smal square of coragated card board that had a SMALL squirt of WD on it, Put this in the bottom of the can then filled it, Welded the cap with no vent holes. Not an issue. I havnt tried it yet, but since all you are trying to do is burn out the O2 in the can to give a better welding environment, why not just the cardboard??

God Bless
Mike

I've used cardboard and superglued my nickel silver to the cardboard, filled the voids with powder metal and welded a cap on with no vent holes, no problems whatsoever. Even the superglue didnt cause troubles.
Sounds more like a "Here hold my beer and watch this" kind of deal to me!

Ive used a smal square of coragated card board that had a SMALL squirt of WD on it, Put this in the bottom of the can then filled it, Welded the cap with no vent holes. Not an issue. I havnt tried it yet, but since all you are trying to do is burn out the O2 in the can to give a better welding environment, why not just the cardboard??

God Bless
Mike

Back