Kev’s KITH-WIP

Thank you for the comments. My plan at this point is to mark out and grind in the tang taper, and remove a little weight that way. Then I’m planning on marking out the grind line I’d like and do my absolute best to stick to that. I have a bad habit of “letting the steel tell me what it wants to be”. Well, more my grinder telling the steel what to be.
Along those same lines, I’m going to leave plenty of material pre-heat treat and then work to the desired shape post heat treat. Anyone ever have any issues doing it that way?

Grinding bevels post heat treat is normal for many of us. As long as you dunk the knife every pass or two there is no issue.

Profiling after heat treat is something that would concern me. Things get very hot during profiling. When grinding bevels the blade is in your hands and your fingertips feel the heat as it builds. Not so with profiling where your hands are generally on the far side of the steel pushing the blank into the belt.

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about grinding the bevel only post heat treat. The blade has already been profiled and is ready for the next step.

Thank you for the comments. My plan at this point is to mark out and grind in the tang taper, and remove a little weight that way. Then I’m planning on marking out the grind line I’d like and do my absolute best to stick to that. I have a bad habit of “letting the steel tell me what it wants to be”. Well, more my grinder telling the steel what to be.
Along those same lines, I’m going to leave plenty of material pre-heat treat and then work to the desired shape post heat treat. Anyone ever have any issues doing it that way?
Nope...That's the way I like to do it. I think on smaller knives it's easier....don't know if it would be for a bowie, etc...

That final profile is very nice!

nice classic profile.

I noticed you put your sharpening notch in before grinding. I've never done that myself as I usually have to chase matching up the plunges a little. Once I have them matched, I put in the notch, often after hardening with a carbide rotary tool.

Coming along great.
I think the notch tip from boss dog is something I need to apply. I have been doing it during the profiling just as you did.

nice classic profile.

I noticed you put your sharpening notch in before grinding. I've never done that myself as I usually have to chase matching up the plunges a little. Once I have them matched, I put in the notch, often after hardening with a carbide rotary tool.

I’ve never thought to put the notch in after... I always put it in before hand, and clean it up, up to 1200 grit before heat treat. After that I will generally grind to the front of the notch to 120, and then slowly start to work the plunge line to the middle of the notch as I I move up in grit. Sometimes things get away from me and I over shoot the notch. When that has happened I either scrap the knife, or if the design will handle it I expand the notch, like you explained.
I think on the next one I’ll try it your way. It seems 100X easier to get things lined up.

Heat treat and temper are done. 61rC just where I like it. Now the bevel and some hand work.

928EB9D5-328B-4E3E-A707-3C698F1212E5.jpeg

looking good. Cleaned up and sanded nicely. Easy for me to say, it wasn’t my elbow grease. ;)

My apologies for the lack of content recently. I’m just off a 12 day stint in the hospital, and it’s taken me a while to get back into the shop. That said I finally had a good day with enough energy to get some work done. So I got after it. In my excitement, I forgot to document the process. So more apologies for that.

2E33F79E-E358-4FC3-BBB4-078C1AF064BC.jpeg
Here it is! Handle is Turkish walnut. My original plan was to do a hidden tang hole, but an unfortunate crack, changed this plans. I still like the way it turned out though. The recess for the tang hole was a compromise, but I like the look.

Last edited:
Back