KMG Clone

jcullen

Started building a clone, any ideas or do's and dont's greatly appreciated.....

Last edited:
When I built my clone the belt kept traking tworde the machine, after some measuring and figuring I fount that my drive shaft was not paralell (or square)with the contact wheel shaft (or what ever contact tool). It is very important they are as paralell as possible. Good luck and have fun.

Jim

Same here.Taking my time, double checking everything.It's amazing he built that with a drill press and hand tools.......

It would help if you would give location North Florlda covers a lardge area.
I live in Crawfordville I mite be able to help,
Troy Brown

The more I look at these plans,the more welding looks like a good option,to many chances of off center holes.I think if you mig weld and grind welds smooth, the completed job would look and function just as well as bolted together??????? any thoughts???????

Hmm, I made this unit from copying Rob Frink"s KMG (Knife Makers Grinder)

Copy2ofPICT0213.jpg

You really don't need much weld, i.e. "all around". Too much weld will cause the parts to deflect from their original location. What you need is "good weld" that being penetration and minimal undercut :cool:

belttensionerandtrackingassembly.jpg

I used springs from my cycle (always knew I'd use those old springs for something :D). The tracking spring is from an old clutch basket, and the tensioning spring is from the front end of an old Harley. I really overdid it with the tensioning spring though.

PICT0270.jpg

All wheels, bearings, and platen mounting plate were bought from Rob Frink

The square tube size is 2" and 1 1/2" for the tool arm. As the square tube is seamed, you have to gring a slot in the tooling arm.

This machine runs great, but is certainly not as soothe as the real KMG.

By the way I call mine an MMG (Mighty Mouse Grinder :D)

Good luck with your project, it's not too difficult yea!

J
It can be welded, but as has been said there is a good chance of getting something off even with welding, dosent take a whole lot to warp a piece.
Ive been taking pics during my build with the plans of doing a WIP thread, should have it up this week.

Sean

Your Grinder looks great Larry!!2thumbs

Thanks Stabber, It's under powered, but the whole thing only cost around $200. I had read a thread several years ago called "KMG on a shoe string" and was able to get the motor and controller for a real deal. As I said other than that the motor the only thing I paid for were the items I bought from Rob Frink.

I built thatClerke one also. I posted some details about my problems here-http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=9334&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1
I got a lot of encouragement from forum members and made some friends in the process.
If I can help, PM me. The only thing that I bought for it other than some bolts, alluminum round stock and the VFD, was a 1 1/2" wheel(if I remember right.) I was able to scrounge most of the material and motor.
Regards,
Fred

Well Im finally going to get some time to work on my KMG clone this weekend. Just ordered a box of goodies from Tracy, wheels and such. I will try to remember to take pictures for a WIP.

Sean

Back