Kmg grinder

M1911a

I have been looking at the 2x72 kmg grinder and wondering what is the cost of building one vs buying one. I added up the parts to make one and don't think you will save a lot by building one. Am I missing something or is it the satisfaction of building a grinder. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I don't think you're missing anything. I see it all the time.....folks think they are saving themselves "big bucks" by building rather then purchasing a grinder, when in reality it is generally less expensive to buy one. Now, that being said, there are two sides to that coin. On one side IF you have the knowledge and skills to PROPERLY assemble all the parts, building your own grinder can be a very rewarding experience. However, the flip side of that is that many who attempt to build their own grinder simply do not realize just how much detail needs to go into the build to ensure its "right". I get emails and phone calls all the time from folks who have built their own grinders, and those machines simply don't "run" the way they hoped. There's a lot more to it then just assembling parts..... Drive, idler, and contact wheels all need to be properly aligned, they all need to be 90 degrees to the frame, and each other, and on and on.
Yes, its a jolt to reality when you see the price of the top end grinders, but much of what you're paying for is that "precision" of assembly. Personally, what I've observed is that many who build their own grinders end up actually spending more (time and money) due to all the time spent seeking and gathering parts, assembling, and then when problems arise, trouble shooting and attempting repairs. I suppose it all comes down to whether a person wants to spend their time building a machine and "tweaking" it in an attempt to make it right (building their own), or do they want to spend the time actually using the machine and making knives (buying a machine outright).

I also think "where" an individual is in their knifemaking journey plays into the scenario too. I was there once myself....just starting out, everything seemed so expensive, and I simply believed I couldn't afford to "buy" the tools I needed, so I attempted to build my own. Now, with 30 years experience under my belt, I have a different mindset. These days when I consider a new tool for the shop, I look at what the cost of purchasing a "ready to go" machine would be, versus how much I would spend in TIME, parts, and assembly....... and consider how long it would take for that particular machine to pay for itself through what I can produce with it...... it's almost always less expensive overall to just buy the machine I need.

Ed
Thank you for your reply,I think you confirmed what I was thinking by the time I made one and probably messed it up I would have more money in a grinder that didn't work well and would have been disappointed. I am just starting out and have made two knives by draw filing but it takes me to much time this way. I think I will take your advise and order a KMG.

The up side of buying a grinder like the KMG....... its holds it's value very well. If you ever did decide to sell it, you would get very nearly as much, or maybe even more then you paid for it. :)

The up side of buying a grinder like the KMG....... its holds it's value very well. If you ever did decide to sell it, you would get very nearly as much, or maybe even more then you paid for it. :)
I ended up taking the hit and purchasing the KMG grinder package after grinding my first blade on a little cheapo 1"grizzly clone. Worth every penny.

My only recommendation is that you upgrade to the variable speed motor. I wished I had.

John

Go to my web-site and look at the video about my Moe's Grinder. Then look into getting the DVD where I assemble one of the grinders. There are pages that you can print out which include pictures of all of the parts with dimensions, and a complete cut list. This grinder uses standard 1.5 X .5 bar stock and some angle iron. You get your wheels from www.USAKnifemaker.com. I sell the motor, VFD and wiring kit. You have to do some basic, simple welds. To get another machine with all of the features of this grinder you would spend about $2,000.00 more, depending on your scrap pile.
Another good alternative is the GIB (Grinder In a Box) by www.polarbearforge.com.
I also supply motors, VFDs and wiring kits for the GIB and others.
You will be surprised how simple it is to build a good, high quality grinder.

Let me know if I can help you.

I have been looking at the 2x72 kmg grinder and wondering what is the cost of building one vs buying one. I added up the parts to make one and don't think you will save a lot by building one. Am I missing something or is it the satisfaction of building a grinder. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
i have a Wilmont LB1000 that I bought as a kit with wheels and have had zero issues. http://www.wilmontgrinders.com/Pages/LBGrinder.aspx. if you need help getting a motor and drive, send me a PM and i will work up a quote. the grinder will be $800 and I should be able to fix you up with motor and drive within you budget.
scott

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input I have decided to go with the KMG. This is a great forum where experienced knife makers are willing to help a novice.

Good choice you want be disappointed. If you have stuff lying around then it could be cheaper, however I was gonna have to buy everything and it was within $200 of the KMG shipped. Of course that didn't take time or mess ups in to account.
Post up pics after you get it running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Back