KMG with a Variable Frequncy Drive in a garage with GFI outlets?

Johnny Roberts

I posted a question over in the Beaumont Metal Works forum about my KMG. Rob responded very quickly but we are both scratching our heads a bit.

I was running my KMG with a step-pulley setup. I upgraded to a variable speed controller.

I can turn it on but as soon as I engage the START switch, it throws the Ground Fault Interupter Circuit.

The manual plainly states not to use these on outlets with GFI. I was hoping for the best but it is definitely not working.

I can plug the grinder into other parts of the house that do not have GFI protection and it works just fine.

Has anyone else run into this problem and successfully worked out a solution?

Many thanks,

Johnny

Aground fault is designed to trip if there are any faultering current and load more than 10 amps usually will trip it . take the gfi out and put in a different plug.I have one in the bathroom and its a pain in the rear but would save you life if the hair dryer fell in the tub.

Many times all the garage outlets and any on the outside of the house are all GFCI protected.

This is accopmlished by putting the GFCI in the first outlet in the circuit which then gives GFCI protection to all the outlets on that circuit.

You should be able to put a regular outlet in the first spot on that circuit and the GFCI outlet in the second spot. This will give you one outlet for your grinder but keep the rest of the outlets GFCI protected.

-Josh

You guys are spot on as far as I can tell.

The outlet I am plugging into is a standard outlet and the GFI that is tripped in on another wall in the garage.

You shouldn't even need to buy anything for the fix. The GFCI should be the closest one to your breaker box. Just swap it with the next outlet and you should be good to go.

I should state outright that I am NOT an electrician, but picked up alot doing construction work over the years.

Also no knowledge of the electrical code. I'm the kinda guy who'll just do it myself if I'm sure it'll work out so please proceed at your own risk and be sure to do your work with the breaker OFF !

-Josh

Here in Tennessee I was required to ground falt all outlets in my shop....because it was a shop. Of course, after the inspecter has done his final inspection you can change anything you want to. Just know that there is usually a reason for their rules. Although sometimes they don't make much sense.

Agreed, Wayne. I am a big advocate of safety. I even make visitors wear dust masks in the shop when the grinders are making sparks.

I hate the idea of bypassing any safety feature. Almost as much as I hate seeing that KMG sitting there like an overgrown paperweight.

Almost....:)

I have an electrician coming over later this week to look at alternatives. I am terrified of the stuff. Can't see it. Can't smell it. And it can kill ya quick if ya don't respect it.

I can pay this guy in beer so I won't be out any real cash and I can have the peace of mind knowing that a professional has done the work.

BTW... Moe looks like a dang good dog.

Johnny

my last two houses have had GFI at the first outlet and then the others are connected to that circut. If I popped it any other outlet, I had to go to the first outlet to reset the breaker. Swapping it further into the circut will give you at least one non-GFI outlet. It might be best just to have him pull a dedicated circut any way.

Agreed, Wayne. I am a big advocate of safety. I even make visitors wear dust masks in the shop when the grinders are making sparks.

I hate the idea of bypassing any safety feature. Almost as much as I hate seeing that KMG sitting there like an overgrown paperweight.

Almost....:)

I have an electrician coming over later this week to look at alternatives. I am terrified of the stuff. Can't see it. Can't smell it. And it can kill ya quick if ya don't respect it.

I can pay this guy in beer so I won't be out any real cash and I can have the peace of mind knowing that a professional has done the work.

BTW... Moe looks like a dang good dog.

Johnny

Hey bud, not telling you how to conduct you're business, but I would pay him AFTER the job;)

I haven't worked out a solution but I have the same problem the the variable disk grinder I just got from Rob. I was just going to run a new line to the garage.

dang, I am in the process of ordering a VFD tonight and will be running into this issue. Good to know actually.

My electrician will be here Thursday night. He said he can wire it so only that plug is GFI and all of the other plugs are standard or he can move it down the row of plugs. By moving it farther down the row of plugs only the plugs after the GFI (plugs farther away from the breaker box) will be on the GFI circuit.

I could be wrong but with the replies above and his help, I believe this will be an easy fix. When I sell the house, I will switch it back.

Johnny

If it was my shop I would run a dedicated circuit to the grinder. That way it would have its own breaker and nothing else would be on it. That's what I did with my compressor.

Since your not too far from me,You could bring it over and plug it in in my shop.I'll dust it off regularly.:D
Stan

Stan, that might be a fair trade if you can get me to making knives like yours. ;)

I would like to come by your shop sometime and you are very welcome over to mine anytime. I sure do like that traditional hunter of yours.

Lonestar JR

Just let me know when you want to come by.Most any weekend is good.We can swap some tip's
Stan

Back