Knife ad I just copied from FaceBook...

Interesting that they were even able to get an ad on Facebook for anything knife related. Those are generally banned before you get started.

I've heard a few get through because it's a kitchen knife

This is actually quite tame, compared to some of the sales pitches that I have encountered over the years; some, right here in the U.S. are almost legendary in their over the top ridiculousness. This has two very interesting qualities to the terminology, first much of the odd terms are the sort of thing you see with serious language barriers, Google translate is notorious for giving you the least relevant thesaurus alternatives to the word you want. But second- almost every technical term is suspiciously non-specific, in a way that does not hold the writer to any specific standards. "Rigidity", "density", "tenacity"... none of these terms could be held to a standard of scrutiny except that of opinion or feeling, they are not precise material terms.

What set off my alarms was the claim that the physical density and rigidity was enhanced by repeated hammering by expert blacksmiths. Sounds like the old edge packing to me.

Doug

This is an add from Serbia it looks like. Could be the way his written ad translated to English? It is funny though!

This brings back memories from a year or so ago....... of the outfit here in the States that uses "Only the finest A36 Hot Roll for our Blades" (may not be the exact words, but something similar). This one is so non-descriptively vague (as Kevin said) I can't imagine anyone with more than one marble upstairs would fall for it.... but then again..... what was it P.T. Barnum said? o_O

This is actually quite tame, compared to some of the sales pitches that I have encountered over the years; some, right here in the U.S. are almost legendary in their over the top ridiculousness. This has two very interesting qualities to the terminology, first much of the odd terms are the sort of thing you see with serious language barriers, Google translate is notorious for giving you the least relevant thesaurus alternatives to the word you want. But second- almost every technical term is suspiciously non-specific, in a way that does not hold the writer to any specific standards. "Rigidity", "density", "tenacity"... none of these terms could be held to a standard of scrutiny except that of opinion or feeling, they are not precise material terms.
Yep all advertising uses such terms you just have to apply logic to what they claim. “NOTHING CLEANS BETTER THAN TIDE.” When you apply logic to that statement they are telling you they all work the same. They just say it in a psychologically manipulating way. People are sheep...

This brings back memories from a year or so ago....... of the outfit here in the States that uses "Only the finest A36 Hot Roll for our Blades" (may not be the exact words, but something similar). This one is so non-descriptively vague (as Kevin said) I can't imagine anyone with more than one marble upstairs would fall for it.... but then again..... what was it P.T. Barnum said? o_O
I think I saw that company doing the A36 knives. The "best" part...people were spending good money on them. :confused:

Back