Knife Kit

seider

I have ordered a knife kit just to get my feet wet. My question is (I may need to post this in the heat treating but ) What is the best way to heat treat this steel I think it is 1084. My question is what is the best way to treat this? I will have time on my hands tomorrow cooking a few briskets so will have time on my hands to work on it..

I think you will need to be more specific on which kit you have before some one can suggest anything.

guess i could have not been talking to a better person about the kit. Did not even notice it the first time.. Ha may have to post a thread with my build and see how bad i mess it up.. I work at a cnc machine shop i could just cheat and make a program and run it in there ha that is not how i want to do it. Will do it buy hand..

I got the kit in this week hand drawed out a profile of a knife (not the prettiest thing ever) and drilled out got to get me a new blad for my saw and will give a wirll getting it sawed out and roughed in.

knife.jpg

This is not the best pic I have ever taken! May not be the best profile either this will be the first knife ever. I will print out some profiles before my next one. I was just winging it on this one.

I am will work it in when i get it cut out if i was smart i would have shifted it all back about a half inch and I could have made the blade that much longer but i am going to try and make my boy he is 5 alittle one out of what i have left over. I have a vision of what i want now all that is left is making it come to life.

knife2.jpg

I have got the knife to here now what is the best way to hand grind the blade? Is it best to get it close and then hand file is what i would guess. I have read through the post with this excat kit just any pointers before i start would be great.

Thanks Seider

buy the way i am just useing a bench grinder no belt sander yet. We have one at work i could use there may just wait untill monday and work on the blade

Back