Knife Making and being Disabled

Just hang in there. I don't remember where I saw it years ago, but there was a knifemaker with one arm, who made some pretty good looking knives. So if you want to make knives everybody will figure it out on their own on how to adapt a way to do it.

I finally was notified today that my disability was approved. Thank God.

That's AWESOME Eric!! About time someone got it that EARNED IT and DESERVES IT!!!!!

Now it's time to start working at taking care of yourself and THE WIFE!!! As most of you, have read my posts due to the unlimited support that she gives me, even though she has no clue about anything and I mean NOTHING!!!! I could have been speaking Portuguese! Yet she still hangs on to every word and now has started learning a few things, just from listening to me ramble on and on as do so frequently, I feel very strongly that we don't give our wives enough credit for all they do! I'm sure there are some that are saying something to the effect of ,"I didn't see her forging this blade out", which is fine, I'm not talking to those guys! I'm talking to those that actually appreciate their wives, for all,and I mean EVERYTHING they do! Those that don't show their appreciation for their wives contributions will no doubt feel a bit of resistance and probably some jealousy towards their knife making, that is of course they do prefer they BE in the shop that know or have heard me I'm a big proponent of taking extra special good care of wives that tolerate our extreme obsession, OK I'm mainly talking about mine, but I'm sure there are many wives out there that do so much so that we can pursue this art, most sit back and quietly support us while we do all the "going" and "doing"

I guess I should ask here, have any of you guys only got use of one arm. I am in a sling for a bit but I still want to work on my knife. I don't have any power tools so I reckon it will be safe enough but I don't know what I can do. Thanks guys.

I guess I should ask here, have any of you guys only got use of one arm. I am in a sling for a bit but I still want to work on my knife. I don't have any power tools so I reckon it will be safe enough but I don't know what I can do. Thanks guys.

Interesting question. I dont personally know of any knifemakers who only have the use of one arm, but I do know two local guys who are in that condition who go about their lives and do quite well. I would suggest that in order to become proficient working with one arm it would take considerable time and practice.
With your shoulder injury I suggest you do what you can and dont force the bad arm to do anything to strain it. You will heal a lot faster if you give it time to heal correctly.

Liam,
My suggestion , and BTW, I've had 2 shoulder surgeries, I strongly suggest and I do so because I think it's one of the best investments in all of your knife making endeavors to use this time, recovering or other wise. I would spend as much time as possible studying, yes something as simple as that, you will never regret time spent studying.

Sorry if I sound a little Bossy and if I came off that way I do apologize , but it is in your best interest to tend to healing, there isn't much you can do that won't strain your arm or shoulder in any process that has to do with making a knife, which I might add would make recovery take a lot longer. There will be plenty of time to make knives once you've recovered, I'll say it again, time spent learning all you can right now will be time well spent and coming from those of us with numerous ailments that have been there, and studying was all I could do, it was something that I will never regret and I will add that it kinda started a habit, it seems now that anytime I have a free minute,po I'm looking for something to read that has something to do with knife making, I guess the only other thing that I have spent even more time at is drawing, whatever kind of knife that I've got an idea about or for something I think I might like to make one day, drawing is a necessary skill. When it comes time to make something that is all you and ONLY you, you will need to be able to put it on paper to help you visualize the knife that you have in mind, hope this helps, now work on getting well we ALL hope to see a knife made by your hands (and I do mean BOTH of them!) very soon! Rex

I completely agree with Rex on this.

Get some knife books, Video's etc or study your schooling? You will be much better in all you pursue in life with both shoulders/arms working as they should!

I didn't start knife making till I was 38 Y/o and I'm 54 y/o now. You have a head start on the vast majority of us. So listen to us old grouches for once and do some studying till you heal up!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Hello
My name is Bill and I'm also one of you, this is the first time I have posted anything on this site. In 2011 my back became so bad I cpuld not bend over to pick anything up from the floor. I went through the pain shots no joy. I finnaly had the fusion surgery it helped some but it did not return me to where I used to be. I also have dizzy spells that nobody can figure what is the cause. I have had everything you can think of checked on both ends trying to find out what is making me feel that way. From the other stories that I read there are a lot of similarities in my life. I love to make knives, I have just started making my own blades from recycled steel giving it new life. There is something I would like to share with you guys here and that is a picture of a knife a man has made from another site.FootMadeKnifeby2.jpg When we feel like life has us by the short hairs I want you to remember this the man that made this knife has no arms or hands he does his work with his feet. I would also like to offer up a prayer for all of us here that God will touch our bodies so we can do the things we can, That he will touch our lives so we may be a comfort and inspiration to others, and that he will touch our hearts that we may have respect for our fellow men. thank you and i will post again soon to some of my work.

Thanks for your prayers Bill, and your inspiration.
I have learned one thing for sure; life can only hold a fat man by the short hairs for so long. Time and gravity are on his side.

Hello
My name is Bill and I'm also one of you, this is the first time I have posted anything on this site. In 2011 my back became so bad I cpuld not bend over to pick anything up from the floor. I went through the pain shots no joy. I finnaly had the fusion surgery it helped some but it did not return me to where I used to be. I also have dizzy spells that nobody can figure what is the cause. I have had everything you can think of checked on both ends trying to find out what is making me feel that way. From the other stories that I read there are a lot of similarities in my life. I love to make knives, I have just started making my own blades from recycled steel giving it new life. There is something I would like to share with you guys here and that is a picture of a knife a man has made from another site.View attachment 39715 When we feel like life has us by the short hairs I want you to remember this the man that made this knife has no arms or hands he does his work with his feet. I would also like to offer up a prayer for all of us here that God will touch our bodies so we can do the things we can, That he will touch our lives so we may be a comfort and inspiration to others, and that he will touch our hearts that we may have respect for our fellow men. thank you and i will post again soon to some of my work.

That is a great looking recurve! And if this man made it with his feet?
I truly have nothing to complaint about!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

As far as I'm concerned that knife the man with no arms made is the finest knife I've ever seen. That is courage and determination of the first order. He has my respect.

Well guys, you may have noticed that it has been a while since I posted anything I have made. I have plenty of orders right now and have made a few. Problem is my back has been giving me so much pain I cant seem to stand for very long and walking is really difficult. I have been doing a bunch of leather work because I can sit to do it. I have been thinking about re-doing my shop layout so I can do more of my work sitting down. Problem with that is that I need someone to help me get the reorganizing done.
I sure didnt expect that this would happen to me when I got older. I was such a specemin of health as a young man....sports etc..
I could sure use your prayers. I am fighting depression. It hasnt got me yet...but it is kicking the door real hard.

Eric, South Africa is a bit fat from you, or I'd gladly give you a hand with setting up your workshop.
Hang in there mate, I'm sure there are a lot of the guys here that will be praying for you.
I know what it feels like trying to work with a sore back. Got a couple of screws in mine. Been thinking of how I can change my setup, so that I can work sitting down. Problem is, my workshop is too small to take a chair.
Keep your head up and I'm sure you'll be fine in the end. Find your strength in the Lord!
Stefan

Eric,
Other that the buffer & the drill press & large bandsaw I do all of my grinding and most everything else sitting down.

Take your time and just change one station at a time. I would stop by too to give you a hand if it wasn't such a distance. Find someone that can help you for just a hour or two and set your grinder so you can work sitting down.
This is most likely where you are standing the most.

We are with you! When depression smiles at me, I smile back and say no no no!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I'm another that would be pleased to give you a hand but again I'm too far away. Hopefully someone who is closer can help you out. Try to dwell on the positives in your life and not the negative (easier said then done)

I'm getting back onto KnifeDogs after a spell - work has kept me pretty much out of the shop for 2 years. Thank y'all for sharing your stories; they inspire me!

I was wounded in action in 2006 by an IED, at the tender age of 39; the young folks at my command see the Purple Heart on this old guy and they're trying to figure if I got it at Heartbreak Ridge or Belleau Wood. They asked me to speak at some function this year about being disabled on active duty, and it was rough, but I told the story anyway - it was good for me to do so, and it was good for them to hear it. Adversity doesn't have to end creativity; just gives it flavor. I value things more deeply now than I did before, and as a result the work I put into knives/sheaths (as much of a novice as I am right now) is an expression of the regard I have for the folks I give them to. I made a kydex sheath last night for a good buddy (Corpsman) and its nothing special, but the look on his face when I handed it to him this morning gave me back of little of what I lost back in 2006.

I'm getting back onto KnifeDogs after a spell - work has kept me pretty much out of the shop for 2 years. Thank y'all for sharing your stories; they inspire me!

I was wounded in action in 2006 by an IED, at the tender age of 39; the young folks at my command see the Purple Heart on this old guy and they're trying to figure if I got it at Heartbreak Ridge or Belleau Wood. They asked me to speak at some function this year about being disabled on active duty, and it was rough, but I told the story anyway - it was good for me to do so, and it was good for them to hear it. Adversity doesn't have to end creativity; just gives it flavor. I value things more deeply now than I did before, and as a result the work I put into knives/sheaths (as much of a novice as I am right now) is an expression of the regard I have for the folks I give them to. I made a kydex sheath last night for a good buddy (Corpsman) and its nothing special, but the look on his face when I handed it to him this morning gave me back of little of what I lost back in 2006.

Rob,
Thank you for your service and I'm happy that you were able to adapt and return to active duty.

I agree wholeheartedly your statement that
"Adversity doesn't have to end creativity; just gives it flavor.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Well guys, you may have noticed that it has been a while since I posted anything I have made. I have plenty of orders right now and have made a few. Problem is my back has been giving me so much pain I cant seem to stand for very long and walking is really difficult. I have been doing a bunch of leather work because I can sit to do it. I have been thinking about re-doing my shop layout so I can do more of my work sitting down. Problem with that is that I need someone to help me get the reorganizing done.
I sure didnt expect that this would happen to me when I got older. I was such a specemin of health as a young man....sports etc..
I could sure use your prayers. I am fighting depression. It hasnt got me yet...but it is kicking the door real hard.

I know the feeling of not being able to do something without help. Things I was able to do easily before the heart problems kicked in. One way I have gotten help with my shop was to call a near-by high school and asked if there was a kid that wanted a small part-time job. I now use the first kid's younger brother as the first kid graduated:). Hope you can find some help.

After the neck, back, and knee surgery and four bypasses and a stroke I couldn't work standing up anymore, so my son and some of his friends showed up one weekend and started lowering benches and moving equipment around. It sure made life easier. I spent a long time in the shop yesterday and I can really feel it today, but as soon as I finish this cup of coffee I'm heading back out there to see just how sore I can get. I have to walk with forearm crutches these days because of an injury that cost me thew use of my right leg from mid calf down. The foot just flops around. I have a brace that's built into my shoe that straps around the calf of the leg. The point I'm trying to make is that if you really have your mind made up to make knives, you'll figure out a way to do it. Just hang in there.

Back