Knife Making and Home Insurance Dilemma

Mitch from what I have been told in the past if my house burnt down and they found a cutting torch out fit in my garage they could void my coverage and I would be out of luck. They might be able to do that with some other equipment. Be careful.
Doug
Jn. 31

Thanks, Doug. It seems like nowadays, the insurance companies will use any excuse they can not to pay you.

- Mitch

Mitch, if home owner's insurance is like health insurance, the job of a claims adjuster is to find a reason to deny payment.

Doug Lester

I guess I'm lucky. Every time I've called my insurance company due to a problem I've had (flood in '08 and ice damage in '09) they have asked me to forward an itemized list of things damaged along with photos. Approximately a week later there would be a deposit in my bank account for the loss. I have yet to have a major loss, but when my basement was flooded Nadine lost approximately $3000 in technical manuals. When an ice storm knocked out my electricity they put me us in a hotel and covered any expenses which were over what my normal expenses would have been (ie. having to eat out every meal as opposed to cooking for ourselves). They even re-imbursed me for the groceries which were lost due to my home being without electricity for over a week.

Murph, you are lucky. My insurance agent advised me that the insurance companies can drop you even after just one claim.

There are good insurance companies and then there are bad insurance companies. One friend of mine in an archery club that I used to belong to had several rifles stolen from his house. He was told that he was maintaining a nuscience and they cancelled his home AND his auto insurance, both of which cost him a lot more when he found a company that would cover him after having a cancilation.

Doug Lester

There are good insurance companies and then there are bad insurance companies. One friend of mine in an archery club that I used to belong to had several rifles stolen from his house. He was told that he was maintaining a nuscience and they cancelled his home AND his auto insurance, both of which cost him a lot more when he found a company that would cover him after having a cancilation.

Doug Lester

Just plain ain't right.

Not only was it not right it probably wasn't legal, or at least within regulation, to cancel both policies but Ed didn't have the time or money to pursue the issue especially, when in the end, it wouldn't change anything for him really.

Doug Lester

I called and spoke with USAA this morning and was extremely surprised at what I was told. First of all I explained to them that I had a rented storage unit which I used as a shop and asked if I could insure it. Thier answer was, "It is already covered under your current policy". I was amazed!!! My old insurance company would only insure a storage building if it was located on the same property as your residence. When I found this out, I immediately increased my policy to cover my meager shop (an additional $10,000 of coverage was only an increase of $25 per year on my policy).

I explained to the represenative which I spoke to that I had a friend who was looking for a new insurance provider. I then explained the position you were in with your search. When I explained your hobby and the risk involved with some of the equipment which you own (torch) she told me that as long as you were not running a business from your home, you would be fine. She even said that they would not deny a policy to a member who has a hobby. I'm sure that if you ever decided to become a full-time maker they could work with you as well.

When you get a chance, go ahead and join as a member (it's free). All prior service military personnel who received an "honorable discharge" are qualified to join. They offer alot of products as well as numerous discounts to all members. Some of the discounts offered include many name brand stores (10-30% discounts when ordering on-line) as well as vacation planning and even automobile purchase discounts (typically around or slightly below invoice pricing).

Thanks, Murph, for taking all the time and trouble to look into USAA for me. It sounds like some good people are running that outfit. As it stands now, my old agent advised me that she found a similar policy for approx. 1/2 the price than the one that's due to expire soon. Since she can get it for me so cheap, and since she has all my specs already to forward to the new insurance company, and mortgage company, I'm going to see what she can come up with. Nothing's in stone yet.
I didn't mention anything whatsoever about knifemaking to her. We'll see what happens with this mess.
With USAA, do I just send them a copy of my DD 214?
Thanks again,
Mitch

Mitch,

I'm not sure how they do it, but they can usually confirm your 214 info while you are on the phone with them.

I would not hide anything and actually make a point to tell them what you do, if they don't like it ask another insurance carrier until you find one you can work with or make the changes they want.

I guess what I'm saying is just shop around and be careful and the cheapest isn't necessarily the best insurance, I know that first hand.

I won't publicly bash them on this forum but being a contractor, having a zillion friends that are roofers and contractors along with dealing with claims from damage with hurricane Ike and the Kentucky Ice storms in recent years. Many of my friends went to Mississippi and Louisiana to do work and from all this I can tell you who is by far the "WORSE" insurance company you can deal with.

Put it this way some are good as gold and some are horrible and I know just about what they are going to say by the name on the side of the car when they pull up. Either way don't hide anything that could cause a claim later.

Thanks Murph and Cliff. I put my Evenheat on a rolling tool stand, and made a heavy duty extension cord, so now I can HT out in my driveway. If I get a chance today at work, I'm going to speak to someone at USAA. I'm still real hesitant about opening up a can of worms if I don't have to (volunteering information).
I'm confident that my HT methods
and equipment won't start a fire, but I definitely do not want the insurance company to deny a claim if a fire starts from my wood-stove, for example, by using the oxy/acetylene tanks or my knifemaking equipment as an excuse.

I just renewed my State Farm Renter's Insurance, listed full time knifemaking as my occupation. They didn't see any problem with it.

Have you checked The Hartford’s home insurance plans?

Adam, I'm seeing what my old agent will come up with as a replacement carrier. I have a couple of months before my old policy expires, and she already has all the specs on my house to forward to the mortgage company.
Thank you very much for the reply and info; I'll have to look into it.
- Mitch

Back