Knife names

Bailey Knives

I have never been a big one for naming knives. I have named a few of them, but it is hard. I try to avoid names like "the blood-letter", and "skull slicer", but how many names can you come up with for a basic hunter? I normally just describe the knife when listing it for sale, but I have recently come to realize the problems with that. When someone wants a knife like one that has been listed quite some time ago, asking for a cocobolo recurve could describe 15 of my different knives.

So, what strategy do you use to name knives without sounding too goofy or morbid?

I tried things like "model 10" and "Model 15" but I have a hard time keeping them straight. I make quite a few different styles and it is hard to keep them all organized in my mind.

Yep, I hear ya, I have the same problem. There are people out there that have a talent for naming things but I'm not one of them. I give model numbers to knives that I make multiples of and then I usually can make that same pattern in different sizes so then I just tack a letter on the end. A extra large model 7 becomes a Model 7XL or L, M or S. If its something I'm not sure I'm going to make multiple of I just describe the knife and if it becomes popular (or the 1st one gets a good response) then I'll assign a model #

Most of my knife names that I use have been given by someone else. They just start calling one of my knives something, and it sticks.

Jose de Braga does a cool thing naming his knives after constellations.

Jay Fisher names all of his huge assortment of designs with actual names.

Personally, I'm not a fan of descriptive names, or model numbers. I'd rather a knife be named Dave than Model X, (actually, Model X is kind of a cool name). A name can add interest right off the bat, all things being equal.

Build a context for your knives! What story do they tell you when you make them? What story do you tell them while you make them?

Here's a good word I just looked up which kind of explains where I'm coming at this from;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom

At one time I thought about naming my knives after the countys in this state. Many are indian. Some however would not work, like Sunflower or Webster. Really strikes fear. But, I have yet to start this, so I more than likely will not. Most of the times, the names just happen.

Paul

For knives that are "standard models", its very helpful for customers, as well as makers to have either model numbers or names. I personally do not like model numbers...thats too much like production things for me.

I do think for a custom maker its best not to go too far with naming every single knife that comes out of your shop, but those you intend to repeat...yes.

I usually use events in my life, or that are around me to name knives. For example, the name "Progression" that I label one of my standard model folders came about because I was struggling to learn folders, a friend came in the shop, and asked how it was going. I still had a long way to go, and he said "At least your making "progress"...thats where the name came from.

Other one of a kind knives usually take on names associated with whats happening around me while I'm building it. Some examples of those where Bowies named "Ice Out" which was a bowie I built during our spring thaw, where the Mosaic damascus looked just like the ice that was breaking up in the river behind my house. Things like that tend to give meaning to the names, as well as a story that can be relayed to the customer, which in turn, lends more intrinsic value to the piece.

most artists have names for their various works, whether it's a painting, sculpture, whatever. Once the piece hits the public realm and it's successful it will end up with a name one way or another regardless of the will of the maker.

Back