Knife Pistol revolver

R Appleby

KNIFE MAKER
Hey Bruce, I was browsing and stumbled on this and instantly thought of you. It's screaming Bruce bump.

Dumonthier Revolver Knife Belgian made revolvers with “Bowie” style blades forged along the barrel. Mostly used by the French military officers around the 1870’s.

tumblr_lypnmlQbcz1r9khx4o1_500.jpg

Whada think

Bob

I Think this pistol is very cool. I've seen it before in a book entitled "Firearms Curiosa" by Lewis Winant. Right inside the cover is a photo of Charles Daly wearing a cuirass coat with nineteen pistols like this one clipped onto it. One of my favorite pictures. I just found that book on my shelf and I always smile. Its chocked full of curiosa cut and shoots.
Hey Bruce, I was browsing and stumbled on this and instantly thought of you. It's screaming Bruce bump.

Dumonthier Revolver Knife Belgian made revolvers with “Bowie” style blades forged along the barrel. Mostly used by the French military officers around the 1870’s.

View attachment 30341

Whada think

Bob

OK, busted. That was way too easy for you. I have a couple of old revolvers you can take apart to use for examples if you want. I just happen to think that a revolver cut 'n' shoot would be spectacular!

I've been waiting for someone to come along with some encouragement. Bruce with all the spectacular works I have seen created by you I believe you can do it if anybody can.

We are only limited by what we tell ourselves what we can't do.

Thanks Bruce, that made my "to buy" list.

Its a book thats fairly easy and inexpensive to find. A grand addition to your library. My favorite book is "Blades and Barrels" by H. Gordon Frost. It has "six centuries of combination weapons", thats over 300 pictures and illustrations. Its hard to find and harder to afford but worth every penny IMO.

Gee Bruce,
Where on earth would you ever find such a rare and amazing book as "Blades and Barrels"?
A guy would have to have some unbelievable connections to score that one.
It's mind boggling.

Thanks Bruce. This one might be a little further down on the "to buy" list though. Found some anywhere from 200$ to 1000$. :( Someday.

Oh, I have connections with a book geek in the Chicago area.
Gee Bruce,
Where on earth would you ever find such a rare and amazing book as "Blades and Barrels"?
It's mind boggling.

Last edited:
Oh, I have connections with a book geek in the Chicago area. Not saying who he is though.
Gee Bruce,
It's mind boggling.

I heard that same geek just acquired another rare copy. Hopefully he'll post it for sale here next week.
There's only a few good copies left, fortunately he knows a guy that knows a guy.

I will, er, I mean I hope HE will sell it.

Last edited:
How much ya spose that geek will want for the book? When I was looking they were around $400. I almost paid it too until my best Chicago buddy gave me a copy.
I heard that same geek just acquired another rare copy. Hopefully he'll post it for sale here next week.
There's only a few good copies left, fortunately he knows a guy that knows a guy.

I will, er, I mean I hope he will sell it.

It was shipped today and I will price it according to condition. Antique book dealers are notorious for over classifying these books, especially when they are in short supply like "Blades and Barrels" is.

This type of book is often used as a bench reference by makers so the condition is not so critical as long as the pages are all there and the corners are square.

A "pristeen and unread" copy of this book could go as high as $1500.00 but thats not what most guys are looking for.

Right now I have about 60 higher end collectable books and only one is "pristeen and unread" and it was originally purchased directly from the publisher in 1964 for $9.00 and is valued at $2600.00. Only 750 copies were printed.

I'll post pics of "Blades and Barrels" as soon as it arrives.

Steve

I have another book (actually its called a Scrapbook) called "Half Century Scrapbook of Vari-type Firearms" Its "Based on the Pictorial and Descriptive Catalon of the Frank E Bivens, Jr,. Inspirtational Collection of Varitype Firearms and Accessories.
Catalogued by F. Theodore Dexter Photography by Orville Logan Snider copyright 1960
It has 200 pages with several on each page including cross bows and cannons.

See if you can find yourself a copy of this one. I'd like to at least know how valuable it is.

Last edited:
Hey Bruce you can make a revolver just make it a black powder like the old navy revolvers were you load the powder and ball..lol..I know you can do it.
Your long lost friend Bruce

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bruce. I sure miss the good ol days my friend, remember the "Bruce and Bruce" collaboration knife? I still see it here once in a while. Looks good as always.
Hey Bruce you can make a revolver just make it a black powder like the old navy revolvers were you load the powder and ball..lol..I know you can do it.
Your long lost friend Bruce

Back