Knife quoted as reason for arrest....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Self Made Knives

I'm sure you've heard about the guy dying in police custody with a spinal injury. I don't know what the guy did exactly, but have you heard the reason he was arrested? Quote from CNN:

"The officer noticed a knife clipped to the inside of (Gray's) front right pants pocket. The defendant was arrested without force or incident," the documents say. "The knife was recovered by this officer and found to be a spring assisted, one-hand-operated knife."

Again, I support law enforcement overall and don't know the all the details of the incident, but I can't imagine living in a place that you could be arrested for a pocket knife. This is beyond insane.

Yeah, I heard someone on Fox News refer to the knife as a 'switchblade'. I haven't seen the knife in question.

Ridiculous for sure. The world's a mess.

I also heard one report that the blade was legal. However, the law tend to be written with enough wiggle room to allow a lot of latitude to the police. Here in Illinois it's supposed to be legal to carry a sheath knife as long as the blade is less than three inches long but I don't think that I'd push things by trying it. What really gets me about the Gray case is the Police Chief's insistence that there was no signs of trauma on the body. The man had three broken vertebrea and a partially severed spinal cord I would call that pretty significant signs of trauma.

Doug

This was tragic in several ways and I have strong opinions on this as do all of you...
Clearly there seems to be some individuals in law enforcement that shouldn't be. Clearly there are some LEO practices that will have to change.

Not as clear, I think lately -- and I keep reminding myself of this, the vast majority of LEO's are good cops and treat people with respect and I will close this thread with that. There are better and more appropriate places for a discussion on this.

We are a knife interest forum and the LEO discussion/media coverage that is so visible lately is a political issue we are going to stay away from - like we do all political discussion.

I urge you to join one of the knife rights groups to help move knife rights forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back