knives into luggage INTO the US, problems?

SHOKR

hey guys

i have a friend who might go to the US (NY) and i want to send knives with him, any idea about rules regarding that?
any of you guys have problem with knives in luggage when you get into US?
(or local guys have any idea about problems or where to find info?)

thanks in advance

Well I took a handful into the US once without a problem (suitcase not carry on). I stuck them in a pair of my work boots, nobody wanted near them:) In all honesty I have no idea if I was doing anything wrong

Shokr,
I don't think there is a problem with checked in luggage, but I really suggest you stop by the local US embassy.

" If you can make it pass the protesters?" and ask them the correct method of transportation of your wares into the USA by carrier on a commercial jet?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

just declare them on the forms you fill out on plane and then with the custom border officer and have them in your checked luggage

the friend will be landing and staying in NY, is there limitations on the nives he can bring on or ship to other states? i did bit of researche and there are lots of illegal knives in NY
it even said 'dangerous looking knives'

i cant find a clear source for that stuff

There is part of the problem,
The rules and descriptions can be vague and its up to the officer looking at them what is "dangerous" Generally that could mean Daggers or fighters. Gravity knives, autos and I have heard assisted opening folders? when flying into NY.

If you looked into just shipping these knives directly to the end recipient?

Laurence

shipping companies give me crap about it
no we dont ship those things. no we dont deal with weapons, bla bla blaaaa

there was one that told me a while back that they could send knives, but so far havent found one to try the theory

If you are shipping into the US, you need to avoid any Balisongs, parts or complete.
Other wise to NY, avoid anything that could be considered an automatic or gravity knife. They have a politician there determined to get elected as mayor in the future and is taking high profile, low risk positions for future political capital.

There was an article in Blade about US Customs and exotic woods on knives that I'm trying to locate. When I find the article I'll post a summary. If I remember correctly there are certain woods, and Ivory, that require what is called a history of origin or something similar to show that it is not an endangered species.

U.S. Customs have confiscated knives before based on this, so I would make absolutely certain you have all your bases covered before sending your knives.

thanks a lot guys

all the knives i made so far are fixed blades with syntehtic materials (g10, micarta, or CF) however, some of them can be considered 'dangerous'

also some have a second bevel, falls edge but some can be sharpened (i leave them roughly 0.02")

you can check most all my recent work here for reference: http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?27541-my-knives

the earlier ones are not so 'dangerous' looking, but the recent ones could be

Shokr,
I have shipped all manner of fixed blade swords & knives to quite a few countries around the world. I use USPS mostly. and have used UPS. If you ship to the united States, once it leaves Egypt is should be in our USPS hands?

Of course 9/11 changed the world in many ways.
I have had the people at the windows of the USPS give me crap about shipping knives but have always been able to do so once I talked with their superiors.

I once had a lady worker at the Post Office tell me not to get in her line again if I was shipping any more knives because she didn't want to get in trouble.
I politely explained to her that she works for me the public, and will do her job for me no matter what legal items I am shipping through the post office.

I use descriptions like culinary knife, decorative knife or ceremonial knife. Never use the terms, dagger or fighter, even hunter can be a red flag.

If you want to try shipping to the USA and I can help you, just like me know?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Never thought of it until I was reading this thread gain but do avoid any Ivory. Wooly Mammoth's and Mastodon's are extinct so there is no ban on them and an expert can tell them apart. A guy doing inspections at a customs port of entry can't tell them apart and will likely seize them forcing you to prove they are Mammoth (or Mastodon) ivory at your expense.
Pre-ban Elephant ivory that comes with paper work is a likely target for confiscation until you prove it is actually pre-ban, which is almost impossible.

Walrus tusk is legal in many areas but not the U.S. unless you are an Alaskan native.

Anything Rhinoceros is going to probably get you instant jail time.

Anything Rhinoceros is going to probably get you instant jail time.

Shokr,
I know you use Synthetics.

But it should get people instant jail time.

The Rhinoceros in my proud logo and its ridiculous that they and Elephants will be slaughtered to the point of extinction just for their horns & teeth.

Okay! Its time for my medication! lol.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I looked through my back issues of Blade and couldn't find the article I was referring to. Sounds like you will be OK.

thanks a lot Laurence, Tracy, and Drop point

its good i never used these so far then :D

lol Laurence, naah i think you're good. will contact you soon about the shipping, much appreciated :)

Back