Koa from Hawaii for knife handles

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
Brought some Koa wood home with me from Hawaii. Has anyone used Koa for handles? Thanks in advance for any helpful hints.

Yes!
Koa is the Hardwood Tree that the Hawaiians made their outrigger Canoes out of so it's very durable.

I prefer to have it stabilized to increase the beauty and longevity of my knife scales but it will work fine treated with Tung oil.

Stabilizing is very well done by WSSI or K&G Supply.

Enjoy.
Laurence,

www.rhinoknives.com

Here's one I made with some very nice Stabilized curly Koa handles
DSCN1232.jpg

do i need any special glue or sealant?

I use Devcon Two Ton or Gorilla glue for all of my knife handles.
But can use what ever Epoxy you are happy with? No diff than any other handle material as far as bonding is concerned and a hand sanding finish taken up to 1000 Grit with most any furniture oil or a super glue will work as sealant.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

thanks laurence. i have been using Devcon myself lately, like the 30 minute pot time, hate the grey color. just asking because a couple of references said gluing was an issue. also heard the wood is acid and can attack carbon steel.
scott

I haven't seen any problems with gluing/Epoxying up Koa Wood?
It is a bit acidic but so are Walnut, Oak, Cocobolo and most other Hard woods we use.

If you are concerned about the acidity and carbon steel? Use colored fiber liners between the Koa and the steel. Problem solved.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Here's a pic of one of my oyster knives that I have been working on the last few days. Curly Koa is one of my favorites.

image.jpg

Back