lanyard hole problems

Timy

So I finished 20 blanks before heat treat, pin hole and lanyard hole drilled. They all came back from heat treat at 61rc. My problem, is my lanyard stock wont fit. I used a 1/4 cobalt bit before heat treat, then checked with the same bit after and the hole didnt shrink. However, solid rods, tubes, etc labeled 1/4 wont fit. close but no cigar.

Obviously I cant drill a hardened blank, guys have any thoughts to enlarge the hole just a smidge? I am guessing the bit was undersized, should have checked before heat treat...

Appreciate it.

should be no problem to re-drill holes, so long as they are close. You could also put the tube on a metal lathe and take it down some, or use a drill press and sandpaper to take of some of the thickness.

Have you considered sanding down the pins, if you can't get the holes any larger? You might be able to chuck the tubes/rods in a drill press then use a piece of sand paper. This would rough up the surface for better glue adhesion and remove enough stock to fit in a tight hole.

Last edited:
Hello, I have found out the hard way a 1/4" pin will never go into a 1/4" hole. there the same size..

I recommend sanding the pin down slightly for this round. Next time use a F drill for your lanyard or any hole you plan to put a 1/4" pin through. Its just a little larger then 1/4"

Have fun and stay safe!
Randy

Also measure your tube,I'll bet it's bigger than .250 by just a bit. Some of the 1/4" tube I have will measure at .254 and have to use a G size bit for it to fit.

Stan

Stan speaks wise words.
I measure everything before drilling. I have brass tube that will slide right through a 1/4" hole easily, and stainless tube that you couldn't pound through a 1/4" hole. Same thing with brass and stainless pins in any size. Sometimes the measurement on tube is an ID.

Rudy

Wow ! Hey, easy fix... It's the lanyard area, so just use a torch and heat it to soften it so you can drill. It doesn't have to e red hot, just go into the blues and your done. Problem solved !

Back