Large diameter grinding wheel build.

You do have to use a 2 X 132 belt. Most of the variable speed controllers have an option for a forward/stop/reverse switch which will allow you to install a KMG style tool arm on the other end for a very versatile grinder. It does start to get a little on the long side at 40 inches. Bruce's grinders are a 2 wheel like you say tho. In doing this you can run the belt up instead of out for a more compact foot print but then you only have a single purpose grinder.

I am in the process of building the grinder now and will post it all up when I am done.

Not sure how you would make this work on a Hardcore, Laurence.

It's a 2 wheel grinder, with no tool arm, so the drive wheel, and the idler have to be sized appropriately to give you the proper circumference.
You can't even switch between an 8", 10", or 12" wheel without also changing the idler.

Brian,
Come to think about it you are right about that. I sold the KMG that I could of made a riser for so Plan B is ether to build a grinder that would accommodate a 20" or buy Hardcore Products that runs a 20" wheel only. Burr King makes one as well. I've got so many things going on now I think buying one if it makes sense is the way to go.

Scott at Tru-Grit has recently told me about that newer 20" wheel Hardcore machine. I will have to drive out to his shop and grind on it in the next month or so.

Back