Live and Learn

Randy Lucius

Had a really nice filet knife going. I was trying to grind on the work rest with a push stick. The belt grabbed and pulled it between the rest and the belt. I was doing it that way because I hadn't installed a glass platen on my new grinder so I could use a magnet to hold it. Pretty stupid mistake. Glass platen is now installed. I'll finish this one out anyway to use as a test knife.

f1_e.jpg

Been there, normally it is when I am tapering a tang...It will scare the crap out of you at high speed. I ended up grinding a groove in my work rest the same size as my platen so the sides extend behind the platen slightly. Has not happened again.

Last edited:
Been there, normally it is when I am tapering a tang...It will scare the crap out of your at high speed. I ended up grinding a groove in my work rest the same size as my platen so the sides extend behind the platen slightly. Has not happened again.
My work rest extends behind the platen too. Happened on the last couple of inches of the blade because it became unsupported by the rest. Had a glass platen on my old grinder just sitting there. Could have used it and a magnet. Yep. Very stupid mistake.

Another way to prevent that is to get away from using the work rest, at least for the tip of the knife. It does take a while to learn, and I'm sure that even after a few years, it's slower than using a work rest, but I haven't had that happen in years now. ;)

Another way to prevent that is to get away from using the work rest, at least for the tip of the knife. It does take a while to learn, and I'm sure that even after a few years, it's slower than using a work rest, but I haven't had that happen in years now. ;)
Yep billyo. That’s the plan. I’m changing methods so it won’t happen again. Lesson learned :)

Wait, you are gonna grind your bevels that way? I just re-read your initial post. I do not know what I was thinking earlier. I am not being funny at all I promise I am curious though, why use a magnet for grinding your bevels? Why not just hold the knife?

I had that same thing happen 2 years or so ago. Belt grabbed it and before I could get to the vfd it ground a groove in the blade and turned the area blue. No saving it.

Wait, you are gonna grind your bevels that way? I just re-read your initial post. I do not know what I was thinking earlier. I am not being funny at all I promise I am curious though, why use a magnet for grinding your bevels? Why not just hold the knife?
The thickness of the tip of that filet knife was between .018-.020. Not any way to hold it without grinding your fingers off.

The thickness of the tip of that filet knife was between .018-.020. Not any way to hold it without grinding your fingers off.
That makes sense to me. I have a weird way of supporting the blade with my index and bird finger fingernail so my finger never hits the belt. Sometimes I forget I am more than likely the only person who grinds like that. I have been freehand grinding with no tool rest since I started so its weird to think of doing it any other way. I even see people grinding freehand with gloves on and I think "how do they do that" it would feel so weird...

Sometimes I forget I am more than likely the only person who grinds like that
There's probably more folks out there than you know. I do almost the same thing, but use the corner of my index finger nail. There was a thread somewhere (I think it was here) a while ago titled "What grinds your gears?" and last year I almost made a post about grinding off my nail and the callus that built up and it took a week or so for it to grow back enough to resume grinding.
Not any way to hold it without grinding your fingers off.
well, o_O.... When a blade gets that thin, you shouldn't need to take off a lot of material, so you don't need a lot of pressure on the belt.

Let's not forget that the grinder is basically the same thing as a sharpening stone but with the motor so it can take off a lot more material a lot quicker. You don't have to run it at full power or use a lot of pressure all the time.

There's probably more folks out there than you know. I do almost the same thing, but use the corner of my index finger nail. There was a thread somewhere (I think it was here) a while ago titled "What grinds your gears?" and last year I almost made a post about grinding off my nail and the callus that built up and it took a week or so for it to grow back enough to resume grinding.

well, o_O.... When a blade gets that thin, you shouldn't need to take off a lot of material, so you don't need a lot of pressure on the belt.

Let's not forget that the grinder is basically the same thing as a sharpening stone but with the motor so it can take off a lot more material a lot quicker. You don't have to run it at full power or use a lot of pressure all the time.
Holding the blade was exactly what my OP was about in that thread.

I support the blade using my index finger between the first and second knuckles. When the blades get under .060" the belt will clean my finger. Like bright white cleaning.

Back