LN2 Dewar

Mike Martinez

Having purchased an HT Oven, I'm now in the market for an LN2 dewar but have no clue as where to start. I'd like to keep the cost reasonable but also do understand this to be an investment.

Other than a large "mouth," what should I look for in a dewar? What size would you recommend? Are there any good sources out there from whom to purchase?

Thanks guys, I've been reading as much as possible but as always, too much information and misinformation seem to overdose the senses.

Regards,
Mike

These are commonly sold used on ebay. Typically bull semen dewars go for $300 to $500. I have a 30 liter and would get a 20 liter if I had to do it over. Look for 20 to 30 liter dewars. I get charged around $75 to fill it and they never do get it filled completely. I get it filled at two different welding gas supply places. The 3" neck size has never been a problem.

Knife makers usually snag them up when they go on ebay and these can get pricey in a hurry if you are bidding against another knife maker or two determined to get one in their shop. If you find someone really pushing the bids, let it go and wait for another one to get listed in a day or two. There are dozens of dewars on ebay at most any time, most are not suitable for knives due to their shape, size or they are glass.

Last edited:
Back