Lockback folder spring wire help.

Txcwboy

Im trying my first lockback and the plans call for 2mm wire for the spring. Straight not coiled. What is US equivalent? And where do I get it ? Is it pretempered ?
Thanks
DAVE

If it is round wire its called "piano wire" and it is sporing tempered already. I may have what you need. What is the US equivalent of 2mm?

.078 :) I was more asking what is the size we use over here in US for that application.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Is it ok to use nylon washers? Can you buy the wire at a aircraft hobby store?

When I was making lockbacks I used 302 work hardening stainless. Makes a very good spring. It comes flat. Ann Sheffields Knifemakers Supply has it in three different sizes. If she does not have any, get back in touch with me. The washers of teflon work better.

This is also what I use. It can be bent or shortened to meet requirements for most any folder.
When I was making lockbacks I used 302 work hardening stainless. Makes a very good spring. It comes flat. Ann Sheffields Knifemakers Supply has it in three different sizes. If she does not have any, get back in touch with me. The washers of teflon work better.

Hey Tom ! We have emailed a few times on a jig. Its working nicely. Im making it from a book so I can venture out of the design help which uses round. I never can seem to find someone locally that I can watch do it, self taught sucks! :)

What book are you working from? I'm trying my hand at a couple of slipjoints right now, but would like to try making a lockback down the road.

The lockback folding knife from design to completion. By peter fronteddu and stefan steigerwald. Excellent book !!

Hey Tom ! We have emailed a few times on a jig. Its working nicely. Im making it from a book so I can venture out of the design help which uses round. I never can seem to find someone locally that I can watch do it, self taught sucks! :)

Glad it is working for you. It makes a difference.
Tom

So Txcwboy lets see some wip pics and you cant talk about jigs without pics either that's against the rules lol.

Ok ill post pics when I get something done. Im waiting on 01 stock to arrive.

I have made two knives from that book, one is an every day user and is holding up well, did not use any washers milled me spacing an lit it run on the side plates, got some round spring from Otto Frei jewelers supply it is .057" that is the only place I could find it, think thay have a $25.00 minimum, I also made the bolsters and side plats one piece with a dove tail, hope this helps. DeaneIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0218.jpgIMG_0220.jpg Here is E-mail www.ottofrei.com phone 1-800-772-3456

Last edited:
very nice oldknife. Hope mine comes out half that good. Im struggling with the 8 degree angle..trying to draw it on such a small space. I also think I made the lock release to far back. I got ahead of myself. :)

Dave, I struggled making this knife I made a aluminum prototype so if I made a mistake did not waste good material, made a 8% bar to set the blade on in the mill that is how I got it, here are some pictures may help you, think I will try to do another one, think it is a good design gave this one to my son in Alaska if it can be broken he can do it. Deane IMG_0211.jpgIMG_0212.jpg

Back