Lockback question

KDX

I'm planning on making a lockback knife and was wondering what steel I should use for the back bar. I'll be using AEB-L for the blade (61-62Rc) and was going to use the same for the back bar, but can't find a recipe to heat treat/temper it to 49-50Rc. I'm not opposed to using some other type of stainless for that piece as I do my own heat treat, I just don't know what to use. I have the book The Lockback Knife: From First Design to Completed Folding on the way and the question may be answered in there, but I'm not sure so I thought I would ask.

Maybe I'm wrong but if you are making a one piece back bar and spring then you want the back bar the same as the blade but only want to temper the spring on it back to spring rc. I remember someone shielding the back bar and heating the spring portion to blue for spring temper.

I will be using this type of construction.

Spring_zpsvutxdnul.jpg

Thanks. That makes life a lot simpler. What material should I use to make the spring? A dumb question but....with the lock bar being that hard could it be prone to wear or deformation? I watched a video and a guy said when you hear the ping sound when the lock engages it means they are the same hardness and it is not ideal. I'm just getting into this so I don't know much.

Last edited:
Thanks. That makes life a lot simpler. What material should I use to make the spring? A dumb question but....with the lock bar being that hard could it be prone to wear or deformation? I watched a video and a guy said when you hear the ping sound when the lock engages it means they are the same hardness and it is not ideal. I'm just getting into this so I don't know much.

When you posted the photo of spacer and spring I thought you were showing your actual parts. I think the type spring you show is made from piano wire.
I want the lock bar and blade the same hardness so they wear the same,if any.

Back