Look what came!

Daniel Macina

Well everyone else seems to be getting some new toys so I figured I would show off mine! I know not a huge deal to some people but I'm pumped. IMG_1172.JPGIMG_1173.JPG

Let me just say I had no idea how big and solid those things are! Money well spent I think!

I'd consider it a SPECIAL day when one of those arrive too! :) In my experience, the KBAC VFDs are simply the best, most trouble free units currently available.
You're gona love it!

Have you got a link to where you bought it? That way I can find out what one of those sets you back, without being rude! :cool:

I have been thinking of adding it to my KMG clone!! There are times when I need to slow the speed more than the step pulleys allow!!

Can you use these on bench grinders and buffers also?

Generally No, unless the existing device(s) use/have a 3 phase motor. These devices are intended to convert either 110 or 220 single phase to 3 phase. Their use requires a 3 phase motor, and are sized to specific HP and voltage uses.

I generally purchase my VFDs here:

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/DRIVES-KBAC-NEMA4X.html

Once you use one on a grinder, you'll wonder how you ever got along with it. :)

There are certainly cheaper VFDs available, those cheaper units are generally nothing more then a pain in the rear. I can't count the number of times I've fielded calls and emails from folks having issues with the cheaper VFDs. My advice is to steer clear of the VFDs with digital readouts, and/or the "touchpad" speed controls....... historically, those are the units that manifest the most issues in the knifemaking environment.

Last edited:
I love mine. Having the VFD in its own NEMA 4X enclosure is worth every penny it costs. Originally I was going to use a typical industrial VFD and make my own enclosure. By the time you do that, put switches and a pot on the front, figure out how to cool it.... it just doesn't compare to having the little VFD sitting right there at your fingertips.

Have you got a link to where you bought it? That way I can find out what one of those sets you back, without being rude! :cool:

I have been thinking of adding it to my KMG clone!! There are times when I need to slow the speed more than the step pulleys allow!!

Amazon has the KBAC27 (up to 2hp) for $357/Free Shipping. I found them for less on some other sites but when you factored in the shipping it was as much or more. If I was to do it again I would get the KBAC29 (up to 3hp) it was at the time about 10 bucks more and if I ever decide to go with a 3HP whatever I would need to buy another Drive.

Ok. I'm totally pumped I wired it up and it ran right the first time! That's a big deal for me because I'm not that great with electrical work. Took me 5 1/2 hrs (Not Kidding.) Have to get a few more parts to have a complete grinder then I'll post some pics.

Ok. I'm totally pumped I wired it up and it ran right the first time! That's a big deal for me because I'm not that great with electrical work. Took me 5 1/2 hrs (Not Kidding.) Have to get a few more parts to have a complete grinder then I'll post some pics.

The biggest tip I can offer on the KBAC controllers is to make sure you read, understand, and adjust the trim pots to suit your needs. As the units come, the trim pots are set in a very generic manner. Adjusting the trim pots to suit your needs make a good thing even better. ;)

The biggest tip I can offer on the KBAC controllers is to make sure you read, understand, and adjust the trim pots to suit your needs. As the units come, the trim pots are set in a very generic manner. Adjusting the trim pots to suit your needs make a good thing even better. ;)

OK count me as ignorant but I swear I thought Ed, was pulling my leg again!!! :p I guess I learned a new terminology today!!! See, I is not to old to learn,...…………….. an old dog a new trick!! :D

From Wikipedia:

A trimmer[1] is a miniature adjustable electrical component. It is meant to be set correctly when installed in some device, and never seen or adjusted by the device's user. Trimmers can be variable resistors (potentiometers), variable capacitors, or trimmable inductors. They are common in precision circuitry like A/V components, and may need to be adjusted when the equipment is serviced. Trimpots are often used to initially calibrate equipment after manufacturing. Unlike many other variable controls, trimmers are mounted directly on circuit boards, turned with a small screwdriver and rated for many fewer adjustments over their lifetime. Trimmers like trimmable inductors and trimmable capacitors are usually found in superhet radio and television receivers, in the intermediate frequency (IF), oscillator and radio frequency (RF) circuits. They are adjusted into the right position during the alignment procedure of the receiver.

Trimmers come in a variety of sizes and levels of precision. For example, multi-turn trim potentiometers exist, in which it takes several turns of the adjustment screw to reach the end value. This allows for very high degrees of accuracy. Often they make use of a worm-gear (rotary track) or a leadscrew (linear track).[2]

In 1952, Marlan Bourns patented the world's first trimming potentiometer, trademarked "Trimpot", a name now commonly used to refer to any trimming potentiometer.

Yessir I adjusted a few things but I'm sure I'll adjust it more as I figure out how I like to run my grinder. Another $100 - $150 and I should be able to start some grinding by the end of the week!

Yessir I adjusted a few things but I'm sure I'll adjust it more as I figure out how I like to run my grinder.

You see that is where I have trouble. Being in construction all my life I learned about 110/120 V and 220/240V. Sometimes by trial and error. At a young age I went to town and bought a box of fuses, just for my own use!! :rolleyes: (enough said, on trial and error)

However when it comes to electronics where you have to wire something in like PID's, timers, etc. etc. into a circuit I have to set down and really study through what I am about to do. And I have been know to fry a cooling fan for a closed box on the first try!!! o_O

So I am not only technology challenge I have problems wiring it as well!! I can look at a set of plans for a job and I have no problem understanding what I am looking at. Hand me an electrical schematic and I am left scratching my head!!

@C Craft I'm sure you wouldn't have a bit of trouble hooking one up. I've never done any wiring and didn't even know vfds existed till about 6 months ago. Lol. I wouldn't consider it extremely hard to do just took me some time to figure it out.

I need to put the on off switch in mine still. But my time is limited now so when I'm in shop I'm grinding!

Back