Makers Mark choice??

OkieCowboy

hello all

I know ya'll hear this pretty often... but blame it on my PTSD, I tend to overthink things at times...I know that most guys eventually end up with several marks they use..( i think I read Bruce Bump or someone famous say that) but for my first one... I was wondering if ya'll would say which you like better... I made a mock up of both and tested them on several knives ... so I will eventually will use both I think

6%20%20Horse%20shoe%20GMartin%20inside.jpg

or

7%20GMartin%20Cowboys%20Knives%20arched%20top%201.jpg

thanks for your time..... I will put you all on my Christmas card list for sure :biggrin:

For the name I like the lettering of the first one. As it looks nicer. While the second mark looks more like what would easier fit on a blade composition wise I'm a graphic person. Thus I would go for the first. It's different than the main stream mark.

Personally I like the first one! The first thing you don't want to do is offend a prospective client before you get one. Me I am an ole country boy, I hardly would call myself a Cowboy but I have rode a few horses in my lifetime.

However there is perspective buyer section out there that may like your knife but, be turned off by the thought of if I buy this knife does this make me a cowboy. Kind of the old adage, "does this make my butt look big"? Believe me if the thought is there that it does make my butt look big, well.....................I ain't buying it Cowboy!!

Use the horseshoe, let them make of it what they may and you just doubled your perspective clientele. By the way I am not offended at being called a Cowboy, I have been called much worse.

What I am trying to say is I see folks just getting started and look at their makers mark and think what the he!! were you thinking. Bloodrat, Zombie Slayer, Dedicated Killer, that is just a few that have stuck in my mind. When you set your self up to only serve one part of the public the chance to get clientele from another part of the public, are slim and none. Some will say this is just a cop out, or caving to "politically correct pressure" I call it good business, if I offend you before I get my foot in the door, I have already lost a client! And believe me when I say I have never been noted for being politically correct, cause if I got something to say I usually say it and let the chips fall where they may.

Remember first impressions are usually what the human mind judges by. Think about it the next time your out in public and the guy at the next table is berating his child, your first thought is what a DA. In that case you are probably right but again its a first impression and you only get one shot at that.

OK down off my soap box. In my opinion simple is best. Name rank and serial number as the old movies use to say. Most folks look at a knife they like and they want to know who made and can they make me one. So they need your name and unless you are already famous an idea of where to locate you!

Not saying this is the end all way but, here is mine. For keeping count this is the third revision since I started making.
MakersMark_zpsdde16e70.png

Name, location, and OK it is cross that I had tattooed on my arm back when I was in the US Army! A lot of folks have always thought it was a knife of some sort, so let them think what they may and if they ask I have no problem telling them it is a cross!

Last edited:
The first one for sure. It tells about you and your life style and the kind of knives you make. Also has your name although I think it should have your first name, middle initial and last name.

Last edited:
I like the first one too!
Here is my new (and first) logo. I went with this because it is pretty simple, and the line separating the text looks both like a cross and a sword...works for me!
I wonder if I will change it over time, or try to stick with it. Time will tell.
- J
makers mark picture.jpg

I agree with all of the above. Option 1 has tons of personality. I could use some advice on where to get stencils made. I just got my new etching machine but need to do some quality stencils of various sizes. I couldn't afford the Marking Methods machine that Bruce once recommended that I get (wanted to buy it but money's too tight now). I've been searching this forum for contact info on "Ernie" who has been spoken highly of, but with no luck. Should I get stencils from Ernie (once I find out how to get in touch with him), Marking Methods or another source? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

I agree with all of the above. Option 1 has tons of personality. I could use some advice on where to get stencils made. I just got my new etching machine but need to do some quality stencils of various sizes. I couldn't afford the Marking Methods machine that Bruce once recommended that I get (wanted to buy it but money's too tight now). I've been searching this forum for contact info on "Ernie" who has been spoken highly of, but with no luck. Should I get stencils from Ernie (once I find out how to get in touch with him), Marking Methods or another source? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!
I got my stencils from Ernie here is a link to his site.

http://www.erniesknives.com/knifemaker_stencil.html

Back