Maker's mark on your knives

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I've harped on this before, but I just spent some time over on the collector's forum (on Knifedogs), and the first four posts are people asking for help in identifying a maker's mark......just more proof that when you mark your knives, you should be using your name at the very least, and not some obscure "logo" or symbol(s).

I totally agree,a nifty logo is fine for your web site or t-shirts,but you knives should be marked with your name.

Stan

I concur with you both.
I think for some reason people think that a logo needs to be decoded like a ancient
mark on a sword on a Nat Geo special?

Also the one thing I see too much of is maker's
That will put their name in print and their name in a different print with a logo on their knives.

When I started making knives I was in the shop of the late Mr. Bob Loveless.
He comment on this issue was, mark your knives with your name & town.

I have one logo.
The one that's in my avatar on my knives, Biz Cards, Hat's etc...

As far as the internet goes? I have found most people are savvy enough to google my name and brand to find me if they want to get a hold of me.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Very interesting points. I should really start marking my blades. I bought a couple of stencils but the size I asked for were just too big and gaudy looking so I have had it on the back burner for a while now. I guess if I'm serious about this I ought to consider getting with the program.

I completely agree with Ed.
Another thing that bugs me is people waiting too long to start marking their knives. Of course I am not talking about the first few sharpened prybars we all make :eek: but when your knives start looking like knives, don't be afraid to put your name on them. Be proud of your work.

This is a good point and one that I generally agree with, but IMO there are exceptions such as period style pieces, where a name marked on the blade stands out like a bloody thumb. All of my modern style knives feature both my name and my maker's mark, but I also make period pieces and you won't see my name on them, nor should you IMO.

Back