Makers mark stamp question.

Mark Barone

Can I get a stamp that I hit with a hammer and also has the ability to be placed in an auger press if I eventually go that route? Or are they two different stamps?

Hello Mark,

It would depend on how your press holds things. I get my stamps custom made by a place near me and I had them step the top portion of the stamp down to provide shoulders to seat it in my press. I can still strike it if I need to but since I built a hydraulic unit to press it in I have never put a hammer to it again, which seems to have greatly increased the life of the stamp.

I concur with what Kevin said. My addition would be this..... Make sure you buy QUALITY when it comes to a stamp. A few times during my career I have tried some of the cheaper outfits, and was sorely disappointed. Now, keep in mind that I hot stamp only, just because I've had some bad experiences with pressing in my mark, but even then, I've had a couple of stamps that lasted less then 10 impressions before the "Y" in my last name mushroomed beyond recognition. Personally, I only purchase from Henry Evers Corp. I've only had to purchase 2 from them in the last 25 years.
Typically, I mark 150-200 blades annually, with a stamp. I also use etched marks on blades that are too thin or delicate to stamp. You'll understand one day, when you attempt to stamp a 1/8" or less blade..... ;)

I concur with what Kevin said. My addition would be this..... Make sure you buy QUALITY when it comes to a stamp. A few times during my career I have tried some of the cheaper outfits, and was sorely disappointed. Now, keep in mind that I hot stamp only, just because I've had some bad experiences with pressing in my mark, but even then, I've had a couple of stamps that lasted less then 10 impressions before the "Y" in my last name mushroomed beyond recognition. Personally, I only purchase from Henry Evers Corp. I've only had to purchase 2 from them in the last 25 years.
Typically, I mark 150-200 blades annually, with a stamp. I also use etched marks on blades that are too thin or delicate to stamp. You'll understand one day, when you attempt to stamp a 1/8" or less blade..... ;)
Yes I gave Henry Evers a call. Great company. I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Hello Mark,

It would depend on how your press holds things. I get my stamps custom made by a place near me and I had them step the top portion of the stamp down to provide shoulders to seat it in my press. I can still strike it if I need to but since I built a hydraulic unit to press it in I have never put a hammer to it again, which seems to have greatly increased the life of the stamp.
That makes sense. I don’t even have a press yet either. it’s jjst A hobby so I don’t know how far I should go with it.

That makes sense. I don’t even have a press yet either. it’s jjst A hobby so I don’t know how far I should go with it.
If you want to shop around, here is my stamp maker- Industrial Marking Products
I have worked with them for years, and they are about a half hour drive from me. They work mostly with MI industry like the automakers. I have yet to wear one of their stamps out and I press cold into the annealed blades. I had them make me alloyed stamp that could take hot work but I haven't done a hot stamp in over 20 years. My mark is a lot of fine lines and wouldn't clean up well if done hot.

Back