Making your mark, etching vs stamping....

nine9jack9

Currently am etching my mark onto blades and it's okay. That said I have always thought that stamping was a little classier looking. Any thoughts one way or the other. Do you stamp after heat treat? How long does the stamp last for? Thank you for your consideration.

Here's a link to an article I have on my website: http://www.caffreyknives.net/marking_art.html

Traditionally, those who forge stamp, and those who stock remove etch. Stamps vary in quality, and the way each individual uses it dictates its lifespan. A quality stamp with my name in block letters (CAFFREY) generally runs $110+, but when you start adding up the cost of stencils, etchant, etcher, etc. its atually less expensive to stamp. I use both stamps and etch....stamps go on any blade(s) where its practical. On blades that are too thin or delicate to stamp, then I etch. (often time if you try to stamp a thin/small blade, it will warp the blade badly, and you will end up with a ton of work trying to straighten it)

Personally, I "hot" stamp just prior to quenching....I do three thermal cycles, and on the third one is when I stamp...the next heat is for the quench.

In the article I posted the link to..... I show a marking press made with a hydrualic jack.....most who use that method do it cold (blade annealed). For me, stamping hot gives the most longevity to the stamp... generally around 8-10 years. With cold stamping I have wrecked a couple of the cheaper stamps within a dozen marks.

I've tried a number of different companies over the years, the best overall quality/longevity has been with Henry Evers Corp out of Rhode Island.

Ed...that was a great write up on stamping vs etching. Been tossing around a stamp in my head for a while also...thanks for that info.

The secret to a good etch mark is two-fold.
One: you need an etcher that can switch from AC to DC. DC puts the deep etch in that provides longevity. AC provides the black finish, but not a deep etch.
Two: you need a really good quality stencil. I get mine from Marking Methods. You can use other stencils or make your own, (as I have) but once I tried MM's stencils, I will never go back. http://www.markingmethods.com/store/pc/home.asp
Email them your artwork, approve the proof they email back, pay with a credit card over the phone, and in a couple of days you have a little booklet of stencils.

As always gentlemen, thank you very much for your kindness and indulgence. I have tried other knife related forums and I will say this; you have made me feel very welcome and helped greatly.

Back