Mesquite Burl Bowie

D. Crawford

Here's a frame handle Bowie that I'm putting the finishing touches on. Specs are as follows

- OAL is 15" with a 9.5" blade
- Steel is differentially HT'd W2
- Guard is mild steel with stainless spacer
- Handle is a 1084 frame, fileworked 410 stainless liners, and Mesquite burl slabs.

I welcome your questions or comments. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Very nice!

Question on the filework; Is the stainless easier than the 1084 to do the filework?

Hi Mark & thanks. The stainless is a bit easier but mainly I wanted the spacer to be the same material as the liners.
The stainless shows the details of the file work better imo. I stick them all in the forge to darken them and then lightly sand the highlight areas.
Makes 'em pop.

D-

I absolutely love this handle. That mesquite is beautiful.

I looked at you other knives. You do very nice work.

DeMo

Thanks DeMo. I appreciate that. The customer requested a wood that was native to Texas so we agreed on Mesquite.
The nice burl slabs took some time to locate. Most Mesquite just looks like lumber.

D-

Now that's purty right there!
I've never attempted a frame handle knife before,I know it's a lot of hard work and you did it well.

Great knife I like the look. The file work is nice not over the top but it fits the knife really well.

If you need a big ugly bowie blade Calvin I know where you could find one if you need.

Amazing work Mr. Crawford! Kudos on finding such a great piece of Mesquite Burl; I've had a few hundred pieces of mesquite pass through my hands and have yet to see a piece as striking.

Back