Might see a familiar face on Season 2 of Historys Knife or Death.

I have put my name in the hat for season three. I heard you only get like a few days notice to show up and compete. Was that true in your case? Is there any rule about bringing a double edged cutter?

I have put my name in the hat for season three. I heard you only get like a few days notice to show up and compete. Was that true in your case? Is there any rule about bringing a double edged cutter?

No rule against a double edged blade. 3 of the competitors I went against had doubles edges. I had 11 days from the time I got the call to the time I got on a plane. There are Skype interviews and other things leading up to the final phone call, lots of waiting. Good luck man!
I'm going to start on a new knife design just incase, then I have to save a paycheck to buy the steel. The amount of cpm3v I will need is going to cost me an arm and a leg...lol

As a rule, I don't watch the "knife" shows, but while in the hospital, and bored outta my mind, I stumbled upon the episode you were on. Congrats on making it through. I gotta say, I don't get most of the things they put you through, and I was huffing and puffing just watching you go through all of that! :) I found myself wondering if they had any "out there in left field" clauses, or weird stipulations in your contract? Or did you even have to sign one?

As a rule, I don't watch the "knife" shows, but while in the hospital, and bored outta my mind, I stumbled upon the episode you were on. Congrats on making it through. I gotta say, I don't get most of the things they put you through, and I was huffing and puffing just watching you go through all of that! :) I found myself wondering if they had any "out there in left field" clauses, or weird stipulations in your contract? Or did you even have to sign one?

Nothing weird I can think of I read through it twice. Standard Death waiver and non disclosure agreement I think.

Anyone else watching the series?
Yep, watching every episode. While I do like FiF better, still not going to miss Knife or Death if I can help it.

I had no idea there were that many support staff on the show - or does that include ALL the competitors also?

BTW Justin - if you can answer, is the whole season filmed over a single week time frame? This would prevent the contestants from episode 3 being able to watch episode 2 and learn.

Yep, watching every episode. While I do like FiF better, still not going to miss Knife or Death if I can help it.

I had no idea there were that many support staff on the show - or does that include ALL the competitors also?

BTW Justin - if you can answer, is the whole season filmed over a single week time frame? This would prevent the contestants from episode 3 being able to watch episode 2 and learn.

I agree Forged in Fire is a better show but I do love KOD too.

No that is just the crew and host.

They filmed it over a couple weeks, no one gets to see anyone else. If I would have won my episode I would have had to go back in 5 days from filming my episode to shoot the finale.

If the two shows were my ONLY choices, knife or death beats FIF in a landslide.

Imo....FIF is the worst thing that could have happened to our craft.

I'll agree with that. when I meet new people and they find out I make knives, they say... "Wow like Forged in Fire ?"
and I say, Uh........no, not like Forged in Fire.
that's not in any way a knock against the makers that appear on the show but rather a knock against the crap they supply and the time line given to turn out something that's supposed to represent that makers skill....when people in the know...like us, know the material and time constraints don't allow it.
and now they have contestants making crossbows and recurve bows.....what's up with that ?

If the two shows were my ONLY choices, knife or death beats FIF in a landslide.

Tell us how you really feel John...LOL :p

I have a serious question for you and any make that makes and sells a hell of alot more knives then me. Has FIF hurt your knifemaking buisness?

Also what are your thoughts on Master of Arms the new one on Discovery?

I haven't seen the master of arms show so I can't comment on that.

I also can't say that FIF has hurt my sales directly.....so far.

If I were to compete on FIF (which I've been invited to do twice but declined) there's no upside....not even the prize money if I were to win. If I lost....it REALLY wouldn't look good.

They don't portray any of the contestants or their work in a flattering light.

I have ZERO issue with any of the smiths or contestants.

But many times the materials are subpar and almost always the tests are ridiculous. Then when knives fail, which seems to be the ever increasing goal, its portrayed to be a 'problem' . some of those judges should know better. Knives aren't even remotely close to the right tool for the job for most of those tests.

Sure, you can make a knife to excel at those things, but it almost ceases to be a knife in the practical sense.

They show is teaching future makers and collectors that goid knives are made of hammers, crowbars and shovels and they could be made in 3 hours and they should be able to hack through bricks and nuts and bolts.

I wouldn't want the general public to be under the impression that a knife I made under a high stress, rushed situation in 6 hours with subpar materials and processes is a good representation of my work.

And I certainly don't want to deal with the warranty nightmare that results from someone using one of my hunters to hack into a pile of bricks.

Everybody and their brother and their friend and there uncle is a knifemaker these days because they 'saw how easy it is and how readily available good materials are' on t.v.. And most of them are hack makers.

How many knives have you seen made on FIF that you could honestly say was a good high quality knife? Even by some if the top quality smiths that have been on there?

I thought master of arms was even worse than forged in fire. On top of a whole bunch of other issues none of their equipment seemed very well set up at all. Grinder tables were shaking as they were grinding and everything seemed overly cramped Along with a whole bunch of other stuff that I don't want to type out. LOL

John, I agree with everything you said, especially the no upside for any well known high end knifemaker to compete. THere are too many "gottas" the knifemaker has no control over. Knife or Death is a much more of an "honest" show, with only a few "gottas" in play.

Your comment "materials are subpar and almost always the tests are ridiculous" is something I've fussed about many times. I'm sure much of my enjoyment of FiF comes from the wife who really enjoys it - just like to have her as involved in approving my hobby.

Good points fellas. Not to mention that I’ve never even seen a tempering cycle on FIF. Maybe I’ve just missed it but I’ve only seen hardening cycles where they keep it outta the oil long enough to make it catch fire which I guess they think is necessary for a cool
shot. That does happen to me periodically but is waaayyy more preventable than is portrayed. I personally don’t like they smell of burned oil clouding up my shop lol. I understand they ain’t got the screen time to do proper tempering and no one really wants to watch that anyway but certainly at least some short clips and an explanation of the process would go along way to making it more realistic. All about them views and cool shots I guess...

All very good points that I completely agree with. There have been some knives that were pretty impressive made on FIF but they seem to be fewer and far between lately.

I agree that the test have been getting harder and harder. I dont have a problem when they do the test on the final weapon and let's say it is a Gladius and they want to take a couple wacks at some armor or shield, the ones I have a problem with and the one that sticks out in my mine was that freaking huge nut that they were trying to cut that was stupid. Make the dang test obtainable so some will succeed. Once they started the saying "it's not what your blade does to the rail road track it's what the rail road track does to your blade" it started really going off the rails.....man that was a good transitional pun.:D

Austin they do temper them in between days. Will now says it but in the first few season no mention of it.

There have been some knives that were pretty impressive made on FIF ...

There were? I've seen every episode and I don't recall one. I doubt even Travis Wuertz, Josh Smith or Burt Foster would say their first challenge blades were their best work...or even impressive for that matter. Far from it. They were simply adequate. But because of their high skill sets, they have the ability to make something much more passible than their opponents.

For the record....I could do no better. That's sorta the whole point.

Justin....just so you know...I'm not trying to be argumentative. I agree with the rest of your last post.

The premise of the show....at any stage...almost gaurantees that the smiths won't be doing their best work. And that's unfortunate.

I don’t think John could have said it any better. I do enjoy watching the show, but I think we as knifemakers view it differently than the average joe who hasn’t made a knife.

I hate having the FIF conversation with customers. I always get the “you should go on the show” thing and people can’t believe I don’t want to, not that I would ever get the opportunity. I feel like John does, even though I’m a nobody in the knife making world, I see no upside to it. And then there’s explaining my prices to them when they think a knife only takes 5 or 6 hours to make. I wish.

I would like to see them show some of the smith’s work when they are introduced.

Back