MikeL and KITH WIP

I have no intentions of turning this WIP into an advertisement but a few have said they don’t like making sheaths. Over time as others saw my knives with his sheaths, he has now done work for other makers. He is not just a maker exclusively for me. I can give his info if anyone is interested. Just for fun, I attached a you tube video you might be interested in seeing. He doesn’t just do sheaths.

Enjoy your long weekend (if you’re getting one).

Time for makers mark and etching the Damascus on the edges. The process of shaping and sanding the handle takes the detail out of the Damascus on the spine and underneath the handle. I’m not sure how others do this but I’ve settled on masking off the handle with electrical tape after putting on the makers mark. I’ve used blue painters tape and electrical. Painters tape leaves less residue on the handle but didn’t seem to sanitize the wood from the ferric chloride as well. 187CC115-B406-4A6B-A650-34EB9258AAF3.jpeg

The Damascus detail is now uniform throughout the knife.

B0AB9C90-8787-4BC7-887C-17C372C85CB7.jpegA95C4134-37AE-4CCD-B65B-1D31321E6362.jpeg

Love that wood!! I have to try Super Glue finish! I've been using Tru-Oil works great just trying to expand the arsenal!

Love that wood!! I have to try Super Glue finish! I've been using Tru-Oil works great just trying to expand the arsenal!

Thank you.
Just Incase I didn’t explain very well, I only used CA to fill the voids. Although CA coated the handle, I sanded it off so only the voids were filled. The wood is stabilized so a complete CA finish wasn’t needed. Most voids were filled pretty good by the stabilization process. I have turned a ton of pens and put a complete CA finish on and it looks pretty good. Just be aware, a polished CA finish can look a little plasticy and might be slick for a knife handle. Just a matter of individual taste.

Just wanted to clarify.

Last edited:
I did post this photo on IG. There really isn’t any progress on the second blade from yesterday but I enjoy the challenge of product photography so once in a while I go for the more dramatic photo. It’s just another photo without showing any progress. Just having fun in my retirement.

8468D922-470F-41EC-8A79-D6E1BE90D2AB.jpeg

Back