MikeL and KITH WIP

The sad part is, I hate wasting precious Burl wood but I’m going to have to cut quite a bit away for the handles. I do save scraps and have turned a pen or two using scraps. These scraps will be saved and maybe used for a pen.

A scrap pen example from a couple knife builds. Black ash and desert ironwood and g10.

5CF8BE67-E4A0-403E-9FDC-09ABCC9A9884.jpeg

There are many techniques to get scales on blades. I use double sided tape a lot! I probably use paper towels and sandpaper much more but doubled sided tape is way up the list of highly used items. I use super strong tape and it has proven to be a very valuable tool for me. Double sided between the scales. Double sided for the paper pattern. Rough shape scales. Then double sided to put the blade on the scales and drill. Double sided to shape leading edge of scales...

7B6001DA-6C89-43FC-AC21-1A90E1C001CD.jpeg3E9BE03F-6032-4913-B74D-79A969D90ADF.jpeg

I shape the leading edge at an angle and then square up to get the edge that remains after the angled shaping. Yes, the double sided tape is keeping it very snug during the shaping. There are voids in this Burl but they are solid due to some very good stabilizing (not stabilized by me).

47CE987D-989F-4521-9B96-FA84D289946F.jpegD02A0C24-ECFD-4545-96C9-E846B0F3D904.jpegDED2EBEB-E7D3-4B24-A473-ABDC86C14752.jpeg

That double sided tape sounds like it may be a better solution from a couple drops of super glue, that can be a bear and time consuming to get the scales back off for final glue up.

I do a lot of reading while trying to learn but often can’t remember who suggested what. The double sided tape originated with some other smarter person. I can’t take credit. I only expanded its use to several other purposes because I liked it so much. This forum and you tube have been invaluable for me. Plus I learned some tricks from Gil Hibbens. Bottom line, I sure don’t mind sharing but I have very few original ideas I often just expand on what I learn from others.

Last edited:
Handle shaping has begun. I’m close to final shape so at this point I’m using CA glue to fill a few small voids. I learned from pen turning where I did many, many CA glue finishes, that I prefer letting the glue cure on it’s own rather than use accelerator. I also learned I am allergic to the CA fumes so I put it on wearing a respirator and leave the shop for a while to let it do it’s thing. I’ll sand off the CA glue after a while so that just the voids are filled with the glue.

E9833DF4-9059-4F52-B43F-971396CAA46D.jpeg7DE587BC-0515-46DF-A3FC-7E7616F29AED.jpeg

Handle shaping has begun. I’m close to final shape so at this point I’m using CA glue to fill a few small voids. I learned from pen turning where I did many, many CA glue finishes, that I prefer letting the glue cure on it’s own rather than use accelerator. I also learned I am allergic to the CA fumes so I put it on wearing a respirator and leave the shop for a while to let it do it’s thing. I’ll sand off the CA glue after a while so that just the voids are filled with the glue.

View attachment 64744View attachment 64745
Simply stunning!

I've kept an eye on all the WIPs, and haven't said much.....but that design/knife just speaks to me...... I really like it.

Back