Mill choice?

KenH

Hello all, I know there are many of ya'll with nice mills. I've gotten the "hots" for a mill myself. I've been looking at several, doing a good bit of reading. I'd like to stay in a $1500 to $2500 budget. I've got a Grizzly G0602 lathe - that's a 10"X22" model. I've sure enjoyed it. The mill I'm thinking would be in the same general range of use - hobby machining, knifes, etc.

There are two I'm looking at: The Grizzly G0704 mill and the G0619 mill. I'm thinking the G0704 mill will do all I need, and allow me to stay in the $1600 range with a few accessories. I'd like to keep the weight to not much more than 400# or so allowing me to move it without help. I've got the 1 ton HF shop crane to move equip with.

Will I ever find much difference in use of either of those two mills? Both are 1hp, but the 619 is about 75# heavier - will the extra weight give "that much" more rigidity?

Comments, suggestions, and guidance is welcome. Any other brands/models preferred?

Thanks, Ken H>

I've got the G0704, and love it. I haven't felt like I've needed more weight, but then again, I don't machine heavy chunks of steel either - mainly guard slots and a few bits and pieces. Actually, for the most part, I use it as a precision drill press... I also like the built in DRO on this machine. It is very useful!

Thanks Ted - I tend to drool over the higher end machines, but reality tends to set in and I realize the smaller machine (704) will do all I really need in a mill. While the initial purchase price of the 619 isn't but perhaps $400 more than the 704, by the time I add the stand.... that adds up a bit more. I'd expect to use the HF wooden work table #69054 and the cost of trip to HF, it would add up a bit more. I really think the 704 is what I'll wind up with - but don't expect to pull the trigger on the order for another day or so.

73 de Ken H>

Ive got the 704 as well and am very happy with it. Id love to have a bigger one but since my shop is in my basement I needed something I could get downstairs and ideally run off 110v power. Be prepared to spend a lot of money on accessories, they ultimately will end up costing more than the mill itself.

Well, I placed the order for the 704 this morning, should ship out today. Hopefully I'll get it mid to late next week. Now to start cleaning out a place to put it. I've got a floor model drill press that I can move. I expect the 704 will do most of the function of the drill press?

Thanks to all for comments and suggestions.

Ken H>

Well, for an update - after placing the 704 order this morning the wife kept saying "are you sure you don't need the 619?"...... With that encouragement, and remembering a few times when the bore, or swing of my 10X22 G0602 lathe limits my work. I called Grizzly to check if it was too late to change order. They said the 704 was already on truck, but they'd be happy to cancel the 704 and change to the 619. Sooo, it looks like I've got a 619 on the way.

Calvin - I've read a good bit about the Sherline lathes and mills. They seem like really good equip, but I'm really wanting something a bit larger.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and guidance. Calvin - still planning to see you Tuesday Good Lord willing.

Ken H>

Back