Minnesota: Rockwell testing near the metro? Or not?

toggy

Hello all,

I am really curious to find out how my heat treating process is working. I use files to test and I bash my blades against hardwood to make sure that the sharpened edges hold up, but I would really like to know on the Rockwell scale what my blades are coming in at. I cannot afford to just up and buy a rockwell testing device.

Is there anyone in the twin cities metro who has a tester? I can pay or barter for some testing...

Or if someone is not near the metro and I have to drive a little ways I'm willing to do that too.

Thanks,

Tom

Check with local community colleges, and/or other educational facilities. Way back, I'd take my blades to our local community college, where they would charge me $5 per blade to Rc test. The instructor used my blades to teach students how to operate the tester. It's a great tool to help you understand your heat treating process.

Thanks all.

I found a local place that I could get it done for a price. I have leads for other options as well. I still have to ask some local trade schools.

And I did find out about the Midwest knife makers group so I have a feeling someone will point me in the right direction.

Once I get back from deer hunting I'll look into it more deeply.

Tom

Back