Modified Coote?

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Well since a coote doesn't have a contact wheel I was wondering if I could modify mine. Here is the page to take a look at the idler wheel.

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/specifications.html

So what I was thinking was to get this wheel.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/...2.html?zenid=414826dfda4b0ab3d137a789e684c7e7

It could be a win win for me. If it works I would have a contact wheel that I could use. If it doesn't work then I still have it for the NWG I will build.

So what do you think? Lets hear it and please be straight with it.

Thanks,

James

Tag, that is all I have to offer.:D

On a side note, I plan on getting norms small wheel attachment for finger choils etc.

Looking forward to the reply's here on this.

Chris

Well since a coote doesn't have a contact wheel I was wondering if I could modify mine. Here is the page to take a look at the idler wheel.

http://www.cootebeltgrinder.com/specifications.html

So what I was thinking was to get this wheel.

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/...2.html?zenid=414826dfda4b0ab3d137a789e684c7e7

It could be a win win for me. If it works I would have a contact wheel that I could use. If it doesn't work then I still have it for the NWG I will build.

So what do you think? Lets hear it and please be straight with it.

Thanks,

James

I'm going to need to see a few more pictures before I understand what's up here. I've never even seen a Coote "live" before..

from what i have seen you buy a coote with a 8" or 10" contact wheel that is what turns the belt. so what are you talking about...

from what i have seen you buy a coote with a 8" or 10" contact wheel that is what turns the belt. so what are you talking about...

Thanks Jeff for helping me clear up what I said. You are right about the contact wheel.2thumbs

Instead of reaching under the wheel at the bottom, having the contact wheel on top where the tracking roller is. The reason is the unless you tilt it back you can't use the contact wheel.

I will take pics this weekend and hopefully it will clear up what I am asking even better.

If I understand what you are trying to do, if you replace the idler/tracking wheel with a contact wheel on a two wheel grinder, you will lose the crown in the wheel which is what helps control tracking. Does the tracking wheel on your grinder have a crown?

Replacing the top wheel with a contact wheel would leave you without a tracking adjustment , its just the drawback of a 2 wheel machine , which is why for accessories , small wheel , etc , the 3 wheel is superior.

I have been using the contact wheel on my Coote without even leaning the assembly back. Maybe you need to bring up the height of your bench a little more?

Doug Lester

I saw a picture online a long while back where someone set up their Coote so that it essentially laid on its back. The contact wheel was at the front and accessible, and any flat /slack belt grinding was done horizontally. My guess, though, was that the person did mostly hollow grinds.

OK here are pics and will explain as I go.

This is the top roller and tracking guild. (Sorry about the dark pic)
DSC00481.jpg

Side view
DSC00483.jpg

This is a piece of percision ground W-2 and there was no gap and it would not rock back and forth.
DSC00493.jpg

Could it be replaced with a rubber contact wheel? Like I said in a way it is a win/win for me.

Oh here are picks of where the tool rest will be. Having to build a bigger one. The one is about 3/4" wide by 4" long. Not much to work with, so my father in law and brother in law are going to cut and weld one up so there is a bigger surface to work on.

DSC00496.jpg

Last edited:
You could try a practice grind with the al wheel just to see if it'll work. It may not clear the tension release and tracking adj as well as you might hope, especially if you're holding on to something with your left hand. It doesn't look like your tracking wheel has much of a crown, but it's very possible that a replacement wheel would need a bit of a crown as others have mentioned. If you're going to make it anyway, I'd keep working on the NWG.

Good luck with it, Craig

Back