My first two grinds

Cojab

knife1&2 008.jpgFinally profiled and ground my first two blades. Many lessons learned on these two already. I think that after I finish these two I will refine my knife templates a bit and I definitly need to work on my plunge cuts/lines. The larger knife is also 1 1/2" wide and I think I might need a little bigger contact wheel for that. I am using an 8" right now.knife1&2 011.jpgFIG]34661[/ATTACH]knife1&2 010.jpg

Attachments

• knife1&2 007.jpg
    knife1&2 007.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 43
With a little bit larger radius on the first-finger area of the smaller knife, I'm loving that design!

Are you planning to try and taper the tangs? or drill any other holes to lighten the handle?

Yep, on the smaller knife I really like the overall design other than the small first finger area as well. On the larger one I'm not really liking the straight spine until you get to the drop point. I might change that pattern to be flat all the way to the point. (not sure what you call that design)
I had thought about tapered tangs but not sure I'm quite ready for that yet. I believe I could get the grind ok but fitting the scales on is where I'm not real confident since I plan on trying dovetailed bolsters. I was considering drilling additional holes in the tang. Any recommendations on that? Will it effect heat treating at all?

I think these look good for a first time. Like everyone says it takes practice. I find marking the knife with a sharpie on both sides where I want my plunges helps a lot!!! I have also used tape.

Back