My forge build.....WIP......it's going to take a while!

Joe, you're getting a LOTS of work done. That is 3" pipe from blower to first 90, then 3" to the reducer? Does that reduce to 1-1/2" pipe on to forge? While that's a long run from blower to forge, you've got a blower that will blow LOTS of air so it might be ok.

Interesting they say horizontal mount only - Can't see why it would matter to the blower, perhaps there's some reason. I'd sure ask the vendor if they had any idea of why. Perhaps a contact with manuf?

You plan to inject the propane just in front of blower before the 3" elbow?

I'd really LOVE to have Ed's input on this build. Perhaps a PM to Ed with a link to the thread asking him to comment about a couple of things like the length of the burner tube, and horizontal vs vertical mounting of blower.

When I say Ed to comment, that doesn't leave out the other knowledgeable folks on the forum, I'd LOVE for anybody to review my comments and correct if needed. I want Joe to get the "right" answer, not just "my" answer.

Joe, you're getting a LOTS of work done. That is 3" pipe from blower to first 90, then 3" to the reducer? Does that reduce to 1-1/2" pipe on to forge? While that's a long run from blower to forge, you've got a blower that will blow LOTS of air so it might be ok.

Thanks Ken!

Yes and yes and it is a long pipe run almost 70" in total, I can reduce that if needed!

Interesting they say horizontal mount only - Can't see why it would matter to the blower, perhaps there's some reason. I'd sure ask the vendor if they had any idea of why. Perhaps a contact with manuf?

Me neither, once I figure out the manufacturer maybe I can ask.

You plan to inject the propane just in front of blower before the 3" elbow?

Yes I do!

I'd really LOVE to have Ed's input on this build. Perhaps a PM to Ed with a link to the thread asking him to comment about a couple of things like the length of the burner tube, and horizontal vs vertical mounting of blower.

When I say Ed to comment, that doesn't leave out the other knowledgeable folks on the forum, I'd LOVE for anybody to review my comments and correct if needed. I want Joe to get the "right" answer, not just "my" answer.

Me too! I did PM Ed, perhaps he'll give some input. Regardless I really appreciate you sticking by me through this build, it means a lot to me! Not many others seem too interested and I guess it just may be old hat to most. Though I promise to help any others as I can in the future to pay it forward!

I’m following, I want a couple more forges, Ed got me worried when he talked about how long the refractory takes to cure properly, can’t afford to be without a forge

When Ed mentioned the long term curing, wasn't that for poured forge? Where the refractory is several inches thick, and would take a LONG time to cure. The forge Joe is building uses kaowool for insulation, and only a thin layer of refractory 1/8" to 1/4" to hold the kaowool in place and prevent the fibers from flying around causing a breathing hazard.

With that said, I have been wrong before, and will be wrong again - hopefully get some things right between the two:)

I did PM Ed, perhaps he'll give some input.
Ed stays pretty busy and has been having LOTS of health issues. When Ed can I"m sure he'll respond to the thread, Ed is very knowledgeable and ALWAYS very helpful.

Last edited:
Pretty much a bust today for productivity. I did manage to go to Industrial Metals Supply and pick up some 14 gauge sheet metal from the remnants area. $22.

Got the sheet metal cut and pop riveted it down...

I got several shipments of the build items I have been waiting for today, all good and supposedly my 'big honking blower' is going to be delivered sometime today or tonight!? Can't wait to see that! About the only thing I'm waiting on is the thermocouple connector cable. Apparently it hasn't even shipped yet.

Tomorrow I think I'll work on securing the end caps to the forge and then maybe the fire brick door retainers.

That's going to look good when finished - what color do you plan to paint everything?

BTW, have you ever considered using a image hosting site (imgbb.com or others?) so your photos show up direct in thread like this:
steel-shelf-in-place.jpg

Oh Ken such an evil word! I hate paint! I'm no good at it and everything I've ever painted has turned out like crap. I can spray pretty well but it never really sticks. I didn't really plan to paint it. I live in Tucson Az, paint is optional and rust is almost non-existent. Though I might paint the forge itself as I don't know what the extreme heat might do to rust!

Got my "big honking blower" today! Looks good and it really really blows. The wiring is kinda substandard in my opinion. On theior website they even make a point to say that any extension cord must be 12 gauge of better and they are far below standards IMHO.

OK Ken I tried IMGBB, but I have to downsize everything before I upload it, Kinda a Pain.

Last edited:
Though I must admit if it turns out kinda cool it might be a shame not to paint it!

Sometimes I'm just so indecisive!

Well I put in a lot of time today without a whole lot of real work done accomplished.

I built another muffler clamp bracket as that piping is heavy but with just the 2 clamps it seems to be pretty rigid. Also built an adjustable (for now) cross support for the blower.

Other than that I mostly just spent a whole lot of time mocking up the blower system mount.

Here I attempted a short video to show the blower blowing.... (it didn't seem that loud when I was doing it!)

a shot of the forge burner tube level....

And here's a couple of pics of the burner tube measurements in it's current location...(it still needs to be trimmed to the curvature of the interior forge when completed) and the tape measure does go all the way to the back of the 1.5" pipe so it's not exact.

Well the whole blower assembly sticks out further to the left (from the front view) than I expected or planned. I could move it up to about 3" to the right if I don't mind my forge being off center from the cart and I kinda think I do! All of the pipe dimensions will change somewhat after I get them tightened down.

I think I'm pretty happy with the blower though I don't really know what to expect. After feeling the air flow at the burner tube I can only imagine how weak that little Dayton blower I was contemplating using would have been.

I'm at least considering rubber mounting the blower. Not sure it is needed after hearing it run with it just clamped down to the mount boards(s). Also I got lucky with the rubber boot from the blower to the 3" pipe. A standard 3.5" x 3" rubber reducer worked, a little tight on the blower but with a little rubbing alcohol I was able to just fit it on fairly easily.

Also thinking about totally foregoing a quick shut-off gate valve on the propane for emergency shut off. I have the gas solenoid so it should work just as well with just a flip of a switch. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated as always.

Last edited:
The sole purpose of the 1/4 turn shutoff valve is for safety, and the fail closed solenoid valve should take care of the safety aspect. I don't see a problem with it. You can flip the switch as quickly as you can do the 1/4 turn valve.

Well I spent a lot of time in the shop and was quite busy but it seemed as though I accomplished very little.

I 'think' I have finished the air system, all screwed together and sealed up. Everything bolted down in place and pretty solid. Thought I was going to have to add a third muffler clamp but once it was all assembled it seemed to be quite rigid. It blows like the big honking blower it is! :)

After that I started messing with the gas system but couldn't find my 1/4x18 NPT pipe tap, nearly tore the shop apart looking for it. Found a 1/4"x27 pipe tap that has never been used, wonder why??? So I ordered another tap from Amazon should be here tomorrow some time. so I just played with the gas connections....

Some real life interfered as well, I had to clean out my 500 gallon rainwater harvesting tank, pretty much clogged with a thick white algae with some occasional dark green spots. I drained the tank and used a high pressure nozzle to blast free the algae then swabbed it clean as I could. The I refilled the tank and added a bag of pool shock. I'll change out the water again in the next couple of days.

quite busy but it seemed as though I accomplished very little.
Lord do I know that experience! Busy all day, then look and try to find what I did.

1/4X27 pipe tap? That's a new one on me, 1/4"X19 is a British pipe tap. Never had anything but the standard old 1/4X18 NPT

You coming along nicely - looking forward to first firing.

Didn't get much time to work on the forge, a couple hours maybe. My 1/4" NPT tap still hasn't arrived. Also I found out that Omega has back ordered my thermo couple cable and connector. They aren't sure when it will ship!

Here a picture of where I was messing around with the placement of the controls...

I built a couple of brackets for the gas control and the blower control. I still have to work in an independent power switch for the gas solenoid and I want to incorporate a small power strip on the right side. So I have some more thinking to do and probable rearranging or moving the controls.

Another short day in the shop, got quite a bit done though it doesn't look like it!

I really just reworked the control panel. Fairly happy with it though it looks a bit cramped to the left side but I needed room on the right side for the power outlet and plugs. Also I had to twist my gas manifold a bit to get the pressure gauge to clear the upright on the left side. Not sure you can tell it in the picture but it irks me. So basically today I just added a dedicated power switch for the gas solenoid and a small power strip which also has a switch on it. But I had to move everything to do it!.....

I haven't hooked up the power cable to the temperature display, just going to wait for the thermo couple connector and leads. I emailed Omega but haven't heard back from them yet and so far no tracking number.

I received my 1/4 NPT tap today finally, so I hope tomorrow is gas day. Hope to get it all hooked up and leak checked.

On another note I spent quite a bit of time finishing up our water harvesting tank. The GF is seriously concerned about the corona virus. She went to the store and came back without toilet paper. I don't mind the time on the water tank, we live in the desert, it's nice to have a backup.

Back