My GIB Build

Thanks for the response Jay. I was actually referring to the following 2 pics. The first photo shows the piece clamped in the vise in preparation for the cross hole or pivot hole to be drilled on one end while the last photo shows the two parts assembled with the cross hole drilled (on opposite end from 1st pic) for the pivot bolt just above the 1/2-13 threaded hole. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough or does this make any sense?

I just finished my GIB and my friend ended up milling me a new piece for my tracking adjustment. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT piece to drill staight and accurately. Also, I'd recommend shimming with bushings/washers the piece with the 1/2" threads to eliminate slop. My grinder belt wanted to wander a bit and tracking was difficult and we traced it to the slop...some of which was my fault due to the part slipping in the vise when I was drilling the crossbolt hole...

Paul,

Now I remember that discrepancy in the instructions. I drilled where Jack describes above, that is the farthest from the 1/2" hole, as in the picture with the item in the vise, and it worked out fine. Actually the kit is so forgiving you probably could drill both holes, instead of one, and then see which works best. ;)

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll see if I can't fix that picture soon. I looked at it so many times, I must have always missed it.

Jamie

Just wanted to add a big thanks Ed!

My GIB tracked great when I first built it, but lately it's been off like crazy. I thought it was because I gouged a grove in one of my contact wheels, but even after fixing that it was still wonky, and had been getting worse. I re-aligned the wheels and all kinds of stuff and got it serviceable, but it wasn't great. Because of your post I realized it was just the crappy spring going looser over time and not putting enough tension on the belt, it's tracking spot on now. Thanks!

Mike, sorry about hijacking your thread but I have another question, this one for Ed Caffery. Ed, I noticed you made your own pivot mechanism for the tracking wheel idler/tensioner. Can you please elaborate (pictures would be great) when you have the time to do so? I'm interested in seeing what you came up with? Thanks a bunch. Paul

At Paul's request, here is some more....I just finished building one for Jim Clow (Boatbuilder). The more I play around with these grinders, the more I like them. I might have mentioned some of these thing in my previous post, but I think they are worth repeating and keeping all in one place.

The first and foremost modification that I think is a MUST on these grinders is to dump the tension spring for belt tension...it just works poorly, no matter what you do. A compression spring is the only way to go IMO. It's done by mounting the idler arm, then locating where to drill/tap a 3/8"-16 threaded hole. Using a piece of all thread with a nut to tighten it down (make sure it doesn't protrude inside the receiver). The spring seat was made on my lathe from a piece of 1" round cold rolled. The hardest part is tapping that thing all the way through. :) The spring came from the local Ace Hardware store. I suppose a person could build two of the spring seats, and mount one to the bottom of the idler arm, but I've not found the need....and it's just more parts to build.

GIBcompressionspring2-1.jpg

GIBcompressionspring1-1.jpg

Next, do not use the mounting hole for the idler arm. Drill another 1/2" hole as close to the end of the idler arm as is practical. This allows the idler wheel to be moved further forward, making for more precise tracking, and also lengthens the "throw" for more leverage when changing belts.

GIBidlerarmpivot-1.jpg

Idler wheel mounting....Most are using a simple 1/2" nut for the spacer between the idler wheel and the mounting block. I surface ground the nut down to 5/16" thickness, and that will bring the wheels into alignment (very important for smooth running and tracking).

GIBidlerspacer.jpg

I also like setting up the tracking adjustment like this:

GIBtracking.jpg

Mounting the drive wheel.......when putting the drive wheel on the motor shaft, put it on just far enough to get a good bite with the set screw. Because the motor is mounted on inside of the frame, this makes the shaft too short if you mount the drive wheel all the way on the shaft. (no pic of that one)

If your going to mount the auxiliary receiver for a work rest such as the MAPP arm. Mount those parts one bolt hole forward....otherwise you must have an extremely long tooling arm for it to work.

GIBAuxreceiver-1.jpg

(that's my 10" wheel/tooling arm....I had to test Jim's grinder to make sure everything was working right......I'll be modifying my grinder by moving the aux receiver one bolt hole forward as time allows)

Finally, on the inside of the KBAC-27 controller....there is a jumper (J4). From the factory it is set to 1X (motor speed). If you have a 1725/1750rpm motor, I would recommend setting that jumper to the X2 position. I found that at 1X the grinder is too slow to efficiently grind with heavy grits.

That's it for now....but I'm sure if I put more of these grinders together, I'll be tweaking as I go.

Last edited:
Much obliged Ed. I like your modification ideas & especially what you've done on the pivot mount for the tracking wheel. Thank you kindly.

Can't wait to get it home for t.n.k.n. Some nights we have lots of guys show up and short a grinder or 2. Last night we must have had 10 people show up. Slows things down with only 2 grinders.

Jim

I've built a couple of these grinders and have two suggestions that will make it work and track MUCH better....

1. Build yourself a compression spring for the belt tension rather than using the tension spring it's designed for. No matter how many, or how big a tension spring you put on it, it will never do as good a job at tensioning the belt as a compression spring.
Grindercompressionspring1.jpg

Grindercompressionspring.jpg

2. Drill another hole as close to the end of the idler arm as practical, and mount it that way......this will bring the idler wheel forward, which gives the drive wheel more "bite" on the belts, and reduces belt slippage greatly. It will also give you more leverage, making it easier to change belts.

GrinderIdlerarmmount.jpg

Mr. Caffrey, I finally got around to modifying my grinder and was reading this thread once again... I'd like know if you could help me out... I'm adding a gas strut (a buddy is giving me a couple of small ones) and cannot figure out how many lbs the strut should be. I was thinking of 40-55. What do you think? Thanks.

I was wondering what the total cost of this grinder is??? I am looking at building/buying one, I am just about done with my first knife and did it all with a file!!!!

Thanks,
Martin

I was wondering what the total cost of this grinder is??? I am looking at building/buying one, I am just about done with my first knife and did it all with a file!!!!

Thanks,
Martin

I made mine for under 600.00 since I scored a motor for next to next to nothing and the VFD was pretty inexpensive.

The spring isn't attached to anything. In the image showing the spring, I built a "holder" (the knurled portion) for the spring to fit down over, and the threaded rod makes it adjustable. It's positioned/aligned so that the idler arm sits directly on top of the spring.....no need for any attachment......nothing special, I just stole the idea from my KMG! :)

Mike....I gotta ask the question....why did you choose that controller? Price? The reason I ask is because I have had experience with that type of controller, and I didn't like them at all.

The up/down arrows change the current frequency, and they are very slow to react compared to the KBAC controller (like the one in my photos) with the "twist" knob.

I hope it works out well for you, but if you find yourself hating it, my recommendation is a KBAC-27D from Wayne Coe.....he has the best prices around, and the KBAC controllers are the best on the market in my experience.

I like those KB controllers too.

If Mike reads the manual for his controller, he will find he can add a potentiometer so he has twisty knob adjustablity.

I like those KB controllers too.

If Mike reads the manual for his controller, he will find he can add a potentiometer so he has twisty knob adjustablity.

Thanks Count. I read the manual and posts from a few of you guys and set my vfd up with a potentiometer and a dial. It has worked we'll for me and has given me no issues.

Hey Mike, I was wondering, now that you have had this grinder for a while now, how do you like it? Also, did you ever upgrade to a gas strut? If so, what length and pounds?

I am thinking about starting one of these in the near future so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Steven, I tried a 45 lbs gas strut but ended up going back to the spring. The strut kept on collecting magnetized pieces of steel dust and I could never get it adjusted correctly along the arm of the grinder. Its possible that a 25-35 lb strut would have worked better but in the end, the spring just worked best for my needs. In retrospect the strut seemed like a good idea because it suited my need for a "cool looking" grinder.

If you're thinking of building one, I'd say go for it and make sure to use a 2hp or larger motor with a VFD. I've tried Burr Kings, Wiltons and a Bader, and I still prefer my GIB. Grinding free hand became second nature once everything was dialed in correctly. Shoot me a pm if you have any question and I will do my best to assist you.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

The strut seemed like an excellent idea. I was thinking that using a strut would be more rigid if the grinder was also set up to be used horizontally. It seems that the spring would not do its job properly turned on its side. But, I guess if it was under tension, it would not be a problem. I hope to start it within the next month. Looking forward to the build.

Thanks for the tips Mike!

Steven, I'm sure it work just fine as a horizontal so long as you could secure the spring to the bolt to keep it from falling off during belt changes. A touch of JB Weld would mitigate any issues. But if you do want a gas strut, go for it. I could attach it to a 1/4"+ plate rather than trying to tap and drill the existing steel. Just make sure you get a good quality one so you can avoid the issues that I was having with grinder dust and such. If you can't decipher my gibberish, I'd be more than glad to whip up some illustrations.

Thanks Mike! I will have to tinker with it once I pull the trigger and see where to go from there, but it sounds like a very viable option. I understand your gibberish perfectly :biggrin:. I have been staring at pictures of different GIB builds for a few days now and have the image burned in my brain (it's pretty much all I have been thinking about). I went and worked for my brother tonight just so I could be $100 closer to getting started on the build. I am sure you know, working with family can be challenging at times.

Back