My knife or your knife...what would you do

OkieCowboy

Looking and planning for my Christmas gift... I am wanting a new fixed blade every day carry... One simply can go look in the for sale section and find some amazing knives..or follow the links to the websites of many of the members here...I would give my left pinky toe to own a knife by Ed, or Tracy or just about anyone here... and there are even some I can afford.
However... being the aspiring knife maker that I am, I could also spend the money and build me a knife...then it would be like a business card...I would always have one with me to show people. ...

So I have a couple of options here.....

Build and wear my own knife.
Buy and wear a custom, but tell folks about my own when asked

Rent my hip out for advertising space ;)

I know you knife guys have dealt with this issue before right?...
so what would you do?

If I were you I'd hold onto the toe. There's a reason you were given ten. As of yet I do not know a maker that will trade for a toe. I'd be interested in a right arm from the shoulder down including the hand. I've still got a few nice knives left. Let me know if your interested. :biggrin:

Build! Didn't I see on FB that you'd started one? How's it coming along? The pros on here are amazing and they all amaze us because we know what we're looking at, but I if you show one of those of knives to a non-knife person, they probably won't get it anyway. But, they'll will be impressed with yours because they know you and they would feel a connection with it.

Hmm . More expensive than I had thought... now about that hand... do all the fingers have to be in working shape? There was an incident with a lawnmower in my youth ..

Yeah..trying to cut out some more fillet knives. .. so far everything is going good...just need to make something for me to carry I guess..Lol
I st

I carry one of the first knives I made daily. When meeting with potential clients I carry one of my more recent ones. Most of the time they have purchased the newer one on the spot from me. They have said if you are carrying it it most be a good one! On the order hand in my collection I have a Burt Foster, a Bola Custom, and several from folks here on the forum.

It just really depends on what mood I'm in when dressing in the morning. Carrying an extra knife today or not but ALWAYS one of mine!

I'm with Raymond on this one, keep the toe, but definitely build! GOD gave you the talent, so use it to be the business card like you said. In my mind, that's the best option you outlined for yourself. If you sell a few of your knives from the "business card" aspect of it all, then you can buy from another maker if you choose. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

Wayne

Being able to pick up another makers knife and hold it, now that I understand the insane amount of work that goes into one.. is almost like bonding with that maker.. it gives me hope of one day I too can do that.. it works in reverse as well .. just yesterday I was at a flea market and there was a guy there selling knives, alot of them were blade kits. (I know because I have bought the same ones) but some was a little rough around the edges, epoxy bits on the blade.. places where the pin holes had been blown out..reminds me..that I am making progress. ..even tho at times It doesn't feel like it lol..

Hmm . More expensive than I had thought... now about that hand... do all the fingers have to be in working shape? There was an incident with a lawnmower in my youth ..

As long as you have a thumb and a couple fingers that work. Pain factor of 5 or less but would consider a 6. Don't forget the shoulder and arm to be thrown in with the deal.

The wife is thinking it's a pretty good trade for that "Kilroy" she wants to know what you offer for the rest of me lol

Build.
You could do what Bruce Evans does, he makes himself a knife and carrys it everyday until somebody buys it right off his belt. Then he makes another one and does it all over again.

I carry at least two knives, I always carry one of my neck knives and most the time have a kershaw or something to do dirty work or abusive cutting :D. I would recommend making one and carrying it, if you have extra it doesn't hurt to have extra knives, I started purchasing a knife from anyone who has taken the time to work with me, other makers who are willing to let you come to their shop and learn. (either paid or not). I decided that I would build my collection over the years from makers that way, then they have a story to go along with the knife.

Back