My local Master Smith?

Travis Fry

I've been pondering whether or not to try some day for Master Smith. I likely won't any time in the next few years, mostly because of capital requirements, but during my pondering I naturally started poking around the ABS website. I found a few MSs within reasonable driving distance. The closest, it turns out, lives 4.9 miles from my office building in Houston (according to Google). It further turns out that not only is he a Master Smith, he's the former Chairman of the ABS, Greg Neely.

Does anybody know Mr. Neely personally? Is he an approachable sort of guy who might be amenable to having lunch with a random knifemaker he hasn't met?

What would YOU want to ask the former ABS Chairman over lunch?

Last edited:
Well Travis I do not know Mr. Neely but I know a few MS's and they are all great guys, I would expect nothing less from Mr. Neely. My best advice would be to give him a call, the worst that can happen is he does not have time in his busy schedule to spend with you.

Good Luck

Greg is a "good guy" not sure if it's still so, but he was a Detective on the Houston PD. Greg is not the current Chairman.....last year is changed to Jim Batson.

The only way to find out is to contact him and see. I know it's always a treat for me when someone is "passing through" and takes the time/effort to call me and ask about visiting.

I don't know ether of those gentleman,
But what I do know is that knife makers as a whole are the finest people I know of!
I live in Santa Monica in Los Angeles With Hollywood and all the rest! some of the people here are so pretentious & self absorbed that it can be nauseating sometimes.

When I got interested in making knives it is was a joy to meet the people involved with it.
I'm sure these gents will have the time or give you some suggestions for what to do if they don't have time.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks for the feedback. I'm with most folks here, I think, when I describe my experience with other knifemakers as largely positive. There are many with significantly more experience and expertise that I have found to be helpful, and I think of many of them as mentors, albeit informally and without their knowledge. There are those, like Ed Caffrey and Bruce Bump, who, when they say something, I listen, and many other masters (not necessarily Master Smiths) whose work and words I learn from.

I have also run across a certain contingent of our community, usually older, well established, and very well known, who have proven to be arrogant and patronizing. A certain amount of arrogance I can accept; it often comes with skill, and while still a character flaw, it is at least understandable. A patronizing attitude I have absolutely zero tolerance for. None of them bother interacting with folks on forums (which is not a strike against them), and will remain unnamed. I've been brushed off by more than one very well known maker who wouldn't give me the time of day, except to suggest that I join their organization (which does nothing except take in fees) or spend big money taking the course that they offer. Questions, and even conversation, were discouraged unless I was willing to pony up the cash.

These latter are why I bothered to post here and ask. I don't have any desire to run across any of these types again, and generally avoid the ones I know. Folks like these serve as a counterpoint to emphasize the true value of what we have here on KnifeDogs, which is a community consisting of people at every level of our craft, all eager to learn and share a passion for quality craftsmanship. I keep making knives because of people like those I find here. I wonder how many quit because they came across the other kind first?

Last edited:
People are people to a large degree and I too am turned off by those that say I need to join this and pay that.

I describe myself as a Stock removal Knife maker Wildcatter. I have seen what you are describing and just say to myself that they have their path & I have mine.

One of the things that stick's in my throat is in the testing for the ratings, Am I making these Knives/features to please the higher up's? or making them because
I truly see the benefit to the knife and customer?

Every organization has it's rules & standards, It's just not always my thing to comply because that's what I am suppose to do!

I guess I still have a big rebellious streak in me! "A rebel without a clue!":biggrin: As they say!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Unfortunately, there are "butt-heads" in every aspect of society. We have our fair share in the knife world too. I always try to live by the tag line that's in my signature, and always try to treat others as I would like to be treated. If/when you run into someone who has that arrogant, self-absorbed attitude, the best advice I can give is to smile, tell them "Thank you very much", then shake the dust off your shoes as you leave them behind.

I've learned over my knifemaking career that those individuals who won't share, or have that "attitude", are really afraid of you..... afraid that you will "take" something from them. I've also noticed that those same individuals are the ones who have nothing "on the back burner".....meaning that they have found a "comfortable" spot, and are either unable, or unwilling to go any further.

There's not much that will get me riled quicker than a "mightier than thou" attitude....unless maybe it's folks who exhibit a "sense of entitlement" attitude. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there are "butt-heads" in every aspect of society. We have our fair share in the knife world too. I always try to live by the tag line that's in my signature, and always try to treat others as I would like to be treated. If/when you run into someone who has that arrogant, self-absorbed attitude, the best advice I can give is to smile, tell them "Thank you very much", then shake the dust off your shoes as you leave them behind.

I've learned over my knifemaking career that those individuals who won't share, or have that "attitude", are really afraid of you..... afraid that you will "take" something from them. I've also noticed that those same individuals are the ones who have nothing "on the back burner".....meaning that they have found a "comfortable" spot, and are either unable, or unwilling to go any further.

There's not much that will get me riled quicker than a "mightier than thou" attitude....unless maybe it's folks who exhibit a "sense of entitlement" attitude. :)

I also agreed with Ed's statement that those that won't share are in FEAR! That you will pass them by.
And the usually are at the end of their learning curve and inside they know it, But won't admit it even to themselves.

Also The sense of entitlement that Ed is referring to now permeates our society and sadly I feel it will be the eventual death of this great country if people keep turning away from personal empowerment, And continue to feel that the world owe's them something just because they breath air.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I have met Mr Neely at Johnny Stout and Harvey Deans get together he is a nice guy I'd send him a email thats usually how I get my foot in the door I have found quite a few knife makers in the area I live in and get together with them often you can learn a lot even from people of lesser or greater skill level b/c I have found everyone does most thing different , Travis if you don't mind the travel Tommy Gann gives lessons he lives in Canton thats a pretty good haul but he is a really good teacher and a nice guy to be I went for lessons yesterday and I'll be going back in a month or so .
Anthony

Back