My new maker's mark

Travis Fry

This is my first knife with stainless bolsters, and first foray into dovetailing them. Also in the pic is my new maker's mark, just in time for this custom order which is a large version of my "Smithwick" model. Handle is Texas Ebony. Thanks for looking.

customsmithwick.jpg

Looks good and a nice one for trying out that new makers mark. How did you like the stainless and dovetailing on the bolsters?

You will have a happy customer on this one.

Craig

Dovetailing, not so bad. The stainless was a real bear, but once I got some better tools after it and did it right it was ok. Turned out nice, despite the excessive effort. Next time will be easier.

Nice work and design, Travis! I just completed my first stainless bolstered knife as well. I got them peened on OK, but then I didn't really know how to go about shaping them so I got some help from a local maker. Did you do most of the shaping before attaching the wood scales?

I did all of it before the wood. I still haven't figured out the best way to shape them. I use a half round file for brass and such, but stainless is too hard. I'm interested to find out what your experienced friend told you about it.

Back