My New Survival/Apocolyptic series

csiekman

2012-05-31 14.49.50.jpg2012-05-31 14.11.00.jpg2012-04-20 15.58.03.jpg

I had forged these up a few weeks ago and I am now just finishing them. Still have sheaths to do. The large ones were a design combination of the naginata (a japanese curved spear) and the parang. I was play forging some leaf springs until my steel arrived and just continued to finish them. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris

www.siekmanmetalworks.com

I'm a big knife guy, big guy, undertand? Yeah, me niether!

Anyway, I think these are looking great! The last pic I really like. What kind if steel is it? and can you give us some measurements? On your handle wrap, how did you do it, it's hard to tell, but I think it looks like you didn't soak the cord with epoxy. I'm not sure that is adesign feature, so the cord can taken off to be used AND you still have a big knife, looks to pretty robust, too! Looking good, from here! Rex

Thanks.

That knife chops real well. Took it to a 2 x 4 with no problems and sank in deep with only 1/4 swings.

The big knife with the ruler in pic has a 10" blade with OAL 16". The handle has two paracords in which i wrappped based off a tutorial i had filed away and had Miniwax wood hardener applied, the pic was taken before. The steel is from a big set leaf springs and it moved very similar to 5160 while forging it. Did HT like 5160. At the end of forging I put the big blades in my mini hydraulic press between two horse rasps to give them more character then did normalizing and annealling before grinding.

The pic w/ big blades have two 10", 9.75", 9.5, and a 8.5" with handles ranging from 5" to 6"
The utilities are 4" blade OAL 8.75" and the other two are 4.5" blades OAL 9"

Thanks for looking

Chris

Thanks guys. Learned alot even though at first i was kind of playing (practicing). It is always good when you can put the drawings of your knives into reality.

Thanks again,

Chris

Back