my progress so far (pic heavy)

SHOKR

it occured to me that you guys here have been suffering my questions but i never shared what i did so far

these are my first knives (none finished so far because i havent found good place to HT yet (its bit complicated))

IMG_20120707_001809.jpg

this one is from a Nicholson file, used bit of angle grinder then teh rest is hand sanding (before i had the grinder running)

the following are all from 6.2mm leaf springs:

20120724_180455.jpg20120724_181104.jpg

my first 2 hollow grinds

these are all flat ground
20120814_181256.jpg

20120814_181401.jpg
a compact
20120814_181449.jpg

2 mini throwing axes, grinding 2 bevels for a beginner is no easy feat!! and apparently i have trouble staying inside the lines!! lol

20120814_181509.jpg
hunter

20120814_181524.jpg

japanese style, yet no idea how authentic the style is, also i took bit off the tang 'belly' and had smoother curve at the end

20120814_181544.jpg
i have no description for this one... and i didnt like the design also it had a very deep dent in the tang so changed it today to this:

all these are taken to 240grit (except the file) and ready for HT

Last edited:
took bit off the tang end and tapered it to fix the dent, which i (sort of) did
tapering is no fun btw! but it did light fire under me to get on working on my disc sander

20120816_155013-1.jpg20120816_155134.jpg

the upcoming projects

20120816_150217.jpg

i was supposed to start on these toady but they are bit intimidating... i cant settle on profile or bevel, i changed the clip of the one in the middle 4 times so far...

Looks like you are well on the way. The profile lines are classic, which is good. You have a good eye. The grind lines will get better with practice. Try making 3 of the same knife at a time. Make them as identical as you can. You will find your attention to finish detail really goes up. -- a lot and you will be better for it quicker than you would otherwise.

Last edited:
thanks a lot Tracy

i actually like the idea of doing several ones of the same design at once

Your certainly further ahead of the curve than you think !

I like Tracy's advice ALOT. I would also add to that to pick a grind, flat or hollow, and stick with that for awhile. Get comfortable with one type of grind then add to your skills.

Keep up the good work.

-Josh

thanks a lot Josh and Keith

Josh, im sticking with flat grind! the reason i did the hollow was i couldnt use the platen and i wanted to start making knives so badly so thought i give it a shot!

im having new platen made (will use hardened ateel instead pf ceramic) the old one turns out is concave now, discovered it when i was using the 240 belt

hopefully will find a place to HT and get these done soon

thanks again for the tips and the support :)

based on the advice i got i started this today

20120818_162142.jpg

the remaining will provide 4 smaller knives

The annoying part is after all the cutting and drilling the blue from the sharpie is gone almost completely and the scribe lines are barely visible so will have to re-color and re-scribe. (unless someone has better idea?)

thanks

Shokr,

You have been busy! I like the patterns you have made. At first glance your throwing hawks looked like some Crusader era truth detector devices.:biggrin:

Try Dykem for marking your patterns or the white correction marker pens work well and hold up decently to the heat etc.. Much better than Sharpies.

Keep your nose to that Grind stone.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Lol

Thanks Laurence, we have no dykem here, i bought online once but my forwarder in the US refused it as 'hazardous' material. Bullpoop!

However someone told me of an equivelant here, i will check out after the holidays. Have lots of shopping to do :D The correction marker, is that the one with lead in it? The ones that havevto bee shook first? I use those qhen im not planning to use a scribe.

Will do! ;)

the only problem is that they are naked haha no scales yet. Those are some nice looking blades! :60:

Back