my version of the poorman's surface grinder/sander

SHOKR

My version of the 'poorman's surface sander/grinder' inspired by Tiaan Burger's

I bought that disc, it has foam backing, and that thing (cant remember the name, they are two parts that stick together, like shoes some jackets etc.) the disc has the rough part, and the round sand papers have the other on the back, so no need for any adhesives. quick changing of sandpaper

I bought a large screw that fits perfectly, cut the head off and few lathe (not mine of course) seconds later it was smooth and perfect for the chuck.

That was a quick trial and it works, i think i need to get a plate to rest the knives on, find a better way to hold them, and would be great if i can contain the little steel dust tornado that occurs, if you have suggestions please let me know

Note:
Thats the small disc, 15cm diameter, i had it already so thought id give it a try before buying the larger one

20120728_212158.jpg

Suggestions:

1. Get rid of the foam backing.....replace it with something hard/stiff like a 1/8" piece of G10/micarta......with the foam, you will end up with things coming out either convex, or concave. It probably won't make too much difference on straight knives, but you will never get a tight enough tolerance for something folder parts.

2. Gotta make sure the table and spindle are "dead on" at 90 degrees.

As far as the dust cloud,
Wear a Respirator first & always!

Also get a Box fan from whatever version of Walmart they have in Egypt. The go match up a A/C or heater filter, Tape or use pieces of angle iron to make a track to slide the filter down into on the exhaust side to suck up the dust cloud.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

first i really like these set up & to the box fan well work. ore maybe use a big shop vac with the hose mounted close to the disc

just passing along the knowledge :)

Adam, i dont know much about mills, but since you have a mill, wouldn't a face mill or something equivalent do the job?

I could but if only a bit needs to be taken down the sanding would work well. The things will mills is just when you think everything is perfect and you want to "Just touch up" something.... Bam!

You forgot to tighten or align or lock down something and the swearing begins.

You method looks simple and good useful

Back