My Version of the Vertical Forge

Ray, no trigger on this one. Just fill it with black powder and and ball bearings, stand back and
throw a match in!

You said forge and not booby trap, right?

My first propane forge was made off of Don Fogg's "how to" at least 15 years ago. I've made a number of forges since then but still prefer the first one I made. I still use it today and would even like to use it more but the old body has been in break down mode this past year. Have you picked up anymore forge/burner orders?

Hey Raymond,
I hear ya about broke down body mode. I simply can't hammer em out anymore. If it weren't for my forging press and assortment of dies I would be stock removal all the way. Even simple hand sanding hurts my wrists and elbow to the point I have trouble sleeping at night. I've also learned to grind to very fine grits to save my hands from hand work.

That's a very cool forge Bruce, can't wait to see it in person. Would have stopped yesterday but had a gooseneck trailer behind my pickup.
Hope you and your family have a great Christmas.
Robin

Hi BRUCE
Working on a new forge myself. My old one burnt out. To much welding flux. I would like to know where you got the ss screen.Sounds like a good Idea to help stabilize the liner.
Sure like the new press.
Working on feather pattern.
Take care
TJ Smith

IMG_0020_zps45c4c87d.jpg
[/QUOTE]

TJ,
I didn't use stainless wire mesh. This is the hardware store variety and has a thin coating of galvanizing on it. The mesh needs to be completely covered with satinite. The galvanizing burns off in seconds if exposed but I think completely covered it helps keep the walls nice and firm. Also the mesh gives the satinite a uniform thickness preventing thin weak spots that show up later.

Ok Thanks Bruce
I do think it will help keep the insulation in place. I'll make sure and keep the vent open when I fire it up.The insulation was getting so thin from welding with borax that I wasn't getting enough heat to weld the billets back together for feather .
Thanks again
TJ

TJ,
I didn't use stainless wire mesh. This is the hardware store variety and has a thin coating of galvanizing on it. The mesh needs to be completely covered with satinite. The galvanizing burns off in seconds if exposed but I think completely covered it helps keep the walls nice and firm. Also the mesh gives the satinite a uniform thickness preventing thin weak spots that show up later.

Hi Bruce. How does your new forge work?
Does the Satinite stand up against the flux at all or does it melt fast.
I tried a box store version and it cracked up right away. Still I can get to 2350 pretty running less than 5 lbs of pressure.
I am going to reline this spring and hope to do a better job.
Take care
TJ Smith

Back