"My very first knife" - post up!

You can see the damage to the handle in the pictures. I was going to take the wood off and replace it.

Edit: take note of the fact that I used a tape measure with Freedom units AND metric on it. Figured I'd save yall with metrical inclinations from having to do conversions.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I got into leather work before I got into forging. It's fun, but holy crap it's hard on your hands. It'd take me an hour or so to stitch up a decent size sheath or a gun holster. Haven't messed with leather in probably 5 or 6 years

Gotcha. I got into leather work before I got into forging. It's fun, but holy crap it's hard on your hands. It'd take me an hour or so to stitch up a decent size sheath or a gun holster. Haven't messed with leather in probably 5 or 6 years

Yea, my dad has pretty bad arthritis and it's been hell on his hands.

Three of my “firsts”:
Top ground from a hard file on a 3x21 belt sander and a floorful of spent belts. Glued on oak scales fall off regularly and i just glue em back on. 1982
middle was first “real” knife on new Bader2 in 1983 out of Bos HTd 440C. it belongs to my beloved wife.
bottom was the first piece of steel i ever put hammer to, an old file. Zowada looked at it and said, “I think there’s a knife in there. Go grind on it.”. We HTd watching the shadows and this holds one fine edge. Exotic handle wrap (decoy weight cord). 1986

EAD28102-6FBB-4E16-9082-0190BE5AE90E.jpeg

CDHumiston: I believe it. Here's my advice - DO NOT USE AN AWL! Use a hole punch where ever possible. I would punch small holes all of the holes for the stitching. Way easier to stitch than way and still looks nice. Especially if you have to stitch through the same hole more than once.

Here's a compound leverage one https://www.amazon.com/Revolving-including-Screwdriver-Grinding-Saddle/dp/B06XRDBGY6/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=rotary+hole+punch&qid=1648093361&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

And here's a professional no-BS one https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-90-70...ords=rotary+hole+punch&qid=1648093361&sr=8-10

Bump

This thread is a gold mine of inspiration for new and seasoned makers alike. For old farts it’s a good way to look back and appreciate how far you have come. For new makers it’s a glimmer of hope to realize that makers who turn out otherworldly masterpieces weren’t hatched from an egg with that level of skill.

I wish every maker on this site would share their humble beginnings here.
My second and third knives cracked when I quenched them. Only 10 or 15 hours into each of them :D

Dennis Morland is pretty much the leather guru here. I've learned quite a bit from him. But evidently not enough as my sheaths are still pretty crappy
I try to stick to one method of construction and I dont do tooled leather. I use between 7 and 10 ounce veg tan, waxed synthetic thread, two fairly big needles (I forgot the size), and I use superglue to hold the sheath together while I stitch it. At the end of the stitch, I tie a knot and then melt off the excess and press it into the knot, so it can't come untied.

My usual construction uses 2 pieces of leather. One large piece that makes up the bulk of the sheath and a spacer so the edge doesn't cut the thread. The big piece gets folded at the knife spine and also gets a fold for the belt loop. Pretty straight forward.

Edit: and like I said before, I punch all the holes, instead of using a stitching awl.

My second and third knives cracked when I quenched them. Only 10 or 15 hours into each of them :D
I'll try to dig out some of my ruined knives and post them. I won't do it on this thread, since it doesn't match the title. I might start a new one. Something like "Post your failures".

I'll try to dig out some of my ruined knives and post them. I won't do it on this thread, since it doesn't match the title. I might start a new one. Something like "Post your failures".

That might be a big thread! We all have only one "First" knife but I'm sure we all a lot of failures!

Posted it in my intro thread but here it is again made from a used saw blade sk5 steel brass pins with bocote for the handle. Plan on putting a hammer to some 1080 soon.

BRPyc5M.jpg

Back