"My very first knife" - post up!

Nice to see this tread back at the top again, it's one of my favorites any where as it shows our Newbieness and improvements with nobody criticizing. We all started somewhere didn't we?

Bruce,
I just had a bit of a time flash when I saw this thread again! Its been that long already? LOL

I agree that its great to see this one up at the top! Anyone else feel free to post your first work? WE would love to see it! Finished today or anytime in the past!

Here is my first,I was 12 and my grandpa helped me.It started life out as a file and the guard is cast aluminum.

Attachments

• 20140923163058940.jpg
    20140923163058940.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 73
AK,
Very cool! You don't see much of the cast Aluminum guards & handles anymore. Was big around WWII and after when it was the new metal on the block. It seems to be Ti now with composites gaining fast!

I really like that old K-Bar type pattern you made.

My first knife! 1080 steel, maple handle, mosaic pins, spine firework.
Feedback welcome!
23a0d2c27f82413202d3f96ae36a473b.jpg
4b4f1959743a90f4aec52cec2ff81f40.jpg
d854496c960c56dc69b843366260d7ee.jpg
704c565632803ff044f148d48c9eeb09.jpg
87d22ecc5ed82c2ef3b925457b049ab9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my first that I made completely unassisted that I can say I'm truly proud of. I've got two others that I made but one has a way offset pin, and the other my dad and a friend assisted on. (dad did the edge cause he's a machinist and angled milled perfect grind lines and my buddy heat treated it for me)

Made from carbide tipped HSS sawblade, I believe M2 or something similar (file tested satisfactorily). Old and rusty made for an awesome pitted look. Handle is Tung Oil stained Purple Heart, finger grooves were burned in via the buffing wheel on my bench grinder, thus why it isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect about this knife in fact, and that's part of why I love it so much. It was a learning piece, and it turned out to be pretty darn cool being the imperfect piece it is.

She's getting a big brother soon. Had a few people wanting to buy it already. I'm still debating on whether I want to sell it.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll add to this thread as well. Why not?

My very first knife was a friction folder made from an old Nicholson file and broken hickory hammer handle which I received, and of course broke, from my late uncle Stan. I used brass as a liner and stainless steel rod for the pivot pin and brass for the other pins. All of this was done on a harbor freight 1” grinder at a shared workspace. I finished the wood with True Oil.

Still very proud of this knife and I will never sell it. Not that anyone would want it anyway but me.

Last edited:
Hey John, I think it was great! And, Malignity, don't sell your first one. Keep it, use it, put if out of sight for a while. You'll come back to it later with fond memories and be amazed at how much your skill has improved. It'll serve as a nice reference point.

Hey John, I think it was great! And, Malignity, don't sell your first one. Keep it, use it, put if out of sight for a while. You'll come back to it later with fond memories and be amazed at how much your skill has improved. It'll serve as a nice reference point.

You're probably right. I've had a few people offer to buy it, but we'll see. If I do, there's so much that needs to change before it goes up for sale. It's not etched with anything, and I really need to even out the handles. You can't tell they're uneven unless you look at the spine of the knife.

It's so imperfect that it makes it perfect if that makes any sense. I don't really want to part with it, but if someone is willing to pay the right price, I suppose I could. One of my friends offered me $80 once I make a kydex sheath for it. It's almost tempting. Almost.

My first knife I gave to my mother as a gift. A small paring knife with mesquite handle blade from an old broken band saw blade. It's in the will to come back to me, the only using I asked for

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Here's my first that I made completely unassisted that I can say I'm truly proud of. I've got two others that I made but one has a way offset pin, and the other my dad and a friend assisted on. (dad did the edge cause he's a machinist and angled milled perfect grind lines and my buddy heat treated it for me)

Made from carbide tipped HSS sawblade, I believe M2 or something similar (file tested satisfactorily). Old and rusty made for an awesome pitted look. Handle is Tung Oil stained Purple Heart, finger grooves were burned in via the buffing wheel on my bench grinder, thus why it isn't perfect. Nothing is perfect about this knife in fact, and that's part of why I love it so much. It was a learning piece, and it turned out to be pretty darn cool being the imperfect piece it is.

She's getting a big brother soon. Had a few people wanting to buy it already. I'm still debating on whether I want to sell it.

This looks like an animal of a knife. I love it. The carbide saw teeth tops it off.

It's big brother is being made right now. Partially mortised full tang Osage Orange handle, looks a bit like a kukri. The more I work with these, the more I'm thinking this may be more of a medium carbon steel than high since some files seem to cut through it easier than others when doing work, but either way, they look cool and they're good learning pieces. My 11 year old nephew's birthday is coming up, and he may just get that wild thing above for a birthday present. I'll post pics when finished. I also sanded down a bit more of the handle in the above knife and decided to refinish it. The finger grooves didn't line up. I still don't like the way it turned out, but we live and learn.

Back