"My very first knife" - post up!

I made it for a friend and that's the design he liked. I'm sure it will work great for skinning and I see what you mean about the guard but honestly I hardly ever use that area of a knife. It feels amazing in the hand but its a bit handle heavy. Next time I will drill some extra holes in the tang to balance it better.

Do you have any pics you could share?

I really only make culinary knives these days. There are a few on my site below.
I lost all my pics of my Hunters in a puter crash a few years back.
If the customer is happy, that's all that counts.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Small world... I was checking out your site and watched some videos of you about a year ago lol. Some interesting knives you make man.

I can barely believe this, but my mom was in her attic this weekend and FOUND MY FIRST KNIFE! Ok, it is more of a "knife"... but I was about 12 when I did this.

first2.jpgfirst1.jpgfirst3.jpg

Very impressive to begin with a folder, and a nice looking folder at that. When I was 12 I was using pockets knives to make sharp sticks.

This will be embarrassing and humbling at the same time, but here you go. I am making throwers, so the scales go on last, if at all, I haven't gotten that far yet. top to bottom, my first three knives, made from the best 1018 steel I could find at Lowe's, and no matter how many times I quench them in dirty motor oil, all that happens is I make a big mess, and the first bad throw I have a bent knife again, hehe.. Bottom two, I got this figgered out now... went and got some stainless, 1/4" stock. Making knives aint so hard, hahahahaa... I have about 5 hours each in the bottom 2, only the stainless is 304, it wont get hard either, lol. to make it worse, I have matching blanks(3 knife sets) cut and profiled for each... I shoulda found you guys first, but like you all said, I got some good practice, and the lesson you learn hard you learn the best. Main thing is I enjoyed making them, and the 1/4 stock is hard to bend if you throw well, but it will bend. Please have a friendly chuckle at my expense, I will be pestering and asking questions pretty much from now on to get my money's worth :)

006.jpg

I remember throwing knives when I first started making knives, I made some mild steel throwers too. They took a beating and got replaced with chainsaw bar throwers. We had a target set up in the driveway and every time somebody come over we would throw knives. It's great fun. Now my shoulder throws out and I had to give it up. Your throwers brought back some fond memories. Thank You for that.

Thank you for you kind words Bruce. I really want to learn as much as possible, and maybe one day be able to make something really pretty. It is a little overwhelming to look at the beautiful works of art on this forum, it takes my breath to look at what you guys have created, and think that one day I could make something even close. I am in no hurry, so this really can be pure fun for me, thanks for having me.

Sd

Just started six months age. First knife was made from a old file, ht was done in a charcoal grill and quenched in motor oil, with black micarta and loveless screws. And my most recent knife...
e80acb7faacad10195fa9db1c8d98c1f.jpg

566cacdceb63191a398d433b7009e16b.jpg

el0147, that's some pretty good improvement in six months! Keep up the good work, I really like the designs of the most recent ones.

Just started six months age. First knife was made from a old file, ht was done in a charcoal grill and quenched in motor oil, with black micarta and loveless screws. And my most recent knife...
e80acb7faacad10195fa9db1c8d98c1f.jpg

566cacdceb63191a398d433b7009e16b.jpg

Started at 6mts age,heck then I couldn't even crawl:biggrin:
Nice work and great improvement.
Stan

Good thread. It is interesting see all of the first knives.

I had a bit of an advantage and greatly reduced my learning curve as I made my first knife in Gil Hibben's week-long knifemaking class in 2003. I would have spent years learning on my own what I learned in that week. I am still proud of the result.

MCBowie2.jpg

Gil made a knife of the design so he could show me how to do it. To my surprise, my wife bought the one that Gil made and gave it to me for my birthday a couple of months later. The pair are proudly displayed in my home and I would never part with either of them. They represent the beginning of a life-changing journey.

Knives_Mod_small.jpg

Back