Need some 240v electrical advice

Black cat

Not sure if this counts as shop talk or heat treating.

I want to move my evenheat HT 240v kiln across the shop but there is no outlet.
I dont want to open walls.

My idea is to take some 3/0 guage cable or larger. Remove the outlet at one end of the room and hardwire the new 55' length into that. Then run it externally across the room.
Kind of like a big extension cord but hard wired at one end.

I dont believe there should be any electrical/safety issues. (At least that i'm aware of)
I've done a lot of household electrical wireing in my life bit i'm no expert so I just need an expert opinion if this idea will work.

The other option is I could just make a 240v extension cable that plugs in at both ends but I feel the tight contact of a hardwired connection is safer.

If the plug in idea is just as safe I may go that route for simplicity sake.

Like Calvin says it will work fine either way as long as have the 3600W model, which only needs 12AWG 3-wire cord (20A, meeting 80% rule for 16A max load). if have the big 7200W model then would have do something else at outlet location to connect some 6AWG SE cable and run conduit to another box in the new location. 3/0 is overkill on wire size so would not need that big of wire for either size.

Last edited:
If you're going to run it externally across your room I would recommend running through some type of conduit or armored cable. That is code in most places.

There is some debate whether romex can be run through conduit so I'd avoid that, just in case.

Pre-wired armored cable makes it easy but you'll also need to install junction boxes at any connection points.

#10 AWG wire over 55 ft is less than 3 volts drop so is just fine. Even #12 AWG wire only has about 3.5 volt drop.

Is this 55 ft the distance around the walls of shop so you can attach wiring to wall to keep it off the floor and away from damage? This 55 ft isn't straight shot across shop floor is it?

Thanks! Yes the 55' goes up and runs along the top of the shop wall where i'll hang it out of the way.

What's the amperage or wattage of the kiln? Code does not require you to run conduit unless the cable is susceptible to damage or its open rafters and less than 8 AWG. I'd stay away from lead cords, they become loose and damaged over long term use. Romex can be sleeved for protection, as long as each end of the run is open. I can give you a few ideas if you let me know the amperage or wattage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back