New etcher build

Discussion in 'Knife Dogs Main Forum' started by Gliden07, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Gliden07

Gliden07 Well-Known Member

Still having some problems. My idea is sound but the Tool box I am using is making it difficult. I'll get it done but the next one will be in a metal tool box with squared edges not rounded. Looks good but fitting it all in is a PITA!! Anyway I soldered a couple leads onto the Banana jacks and melted the insides. Ordered somemore gotta wait for them. It will get finished.

opaul and Smallshop like this.
  2. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

You're close to the endzone with no-one around...keep on a-runnin'...

Gliden07, opaul and KenH like this.
  3. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Got my train transformer yesterday...no time to play with it...

KenH and Gliden07 like this.
  4. Gliden07

Reordered the Banana jacks I melted!! Their do in a few days also ordered a few couple cord grips. All I need is a fuse. Gonna steal some of the GFs nail polish and do some tests prior to ordering my stencils.

Smallshop likes this.
  5. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

If you are not dialed in on your stencil design and you are decent on using the PC for design you can make your own stencil. The StencilPro high resolution stencil material is easy to work with. I print right on the stencil with an ink jet printer. Three sheets are about 30 bucks.

Gliden07 likes this.
  6. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Oh...and ...you're scarin' me....how did you melt that banana jacks...mine are due in tomorrow...LOL!

Gliden07 likes this.
  7. Gliden07

I ran out of crimp on connectors. So decided to solder onto the plugs. Except for the tab the plugs are all plastic. The metal tab is relatively heavy, had to pump a lot of heat on it to get solder to melt. The female plastic part that supports the tab on the jack softned up and bent over. You couldn't plug the male jack into it. Not happy!!

Smallshop likes this.
  8. Smallshop

Smallshop KNIFE MAKER

Well...could be worse! I had envisioned a wiring problem that we did not foresee....whew. I got the thread on connectors that you can completely disassemble to solder....

I'm gonna name my etcher "The Wonder-Etch" because I wonder if it will etch as well as a Personalizer Plus...lol. If it does then it's the "Wonder-Etch" because it works as well and only cost about 1/8!!!!

Gliden07 likes this.
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Ted, Looking forward to your etch with the train transformer.

Smallshop likes this.